The Last Fight (Bullet for My Valentine song)
|"The Last Fight"|
|Single by Bullet for My Valentine|
|from the album Fever|
|A-side||"The Last Fight"|
|B-side||"Begging for Mercy"|
|Released||17 April 2010 (7" single")
19 April 2010 (digital single)
|Recorded||The Document Room
Monnow Valley Studio
|Writer(s)||Matthew "Matt" Tuck|
|Bullet for My Valentine singles chronology|
"The Last Fight" is a song by Welsh heavy metal band Bullet for My Valentine, released as the second and lead UK single from their third album, Fever, on 19 April 2010 to the radio and a limited 7" edition of 1000 copies on 17 April 2010 with "Begging for Mercy" as a B-side. An acoustic version of the song was released as a "Pre-order Only" bonus track on the iTunes version of the album. Before all that, "Begging for Mercy" was offered for free download on 14 February 2010 from the band's official website for a limited time.
"The Last Fight" is one of the most successful songs of Fever, according to most of the critics. Rock Sound establishes that "[...] it demonstrate as much from the outset, presenting fast-paced passages before parrying the momentum into upswings of melody". Along with "Pleasure and Pain" and "Dignity", PopMatters states that these are "[...] high-energy, dynamic songs with powerful vocals and creative solos"; and, along with "Your Betrayal" and the title-track, "Fever", create a "brilliant opening trio", according to BBC.
|UK Rock Chart||2|
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||85|
The music video was released for the UK on 12 March 2010 on the band's MySpace website and on 18 March 2010 worldwide. It consists of a fight between two men in a poorly lit room while the band are playing the song, apparently in the same place. After a long fight, the masked fighter's mask is removed, and it is shown that the man was fighting himself. This alludes to the lyrics, as they talk about trying to fight a drug addiction. You believe you are fighting the drugs, but in the end you are only fighting yourself.
- Digital UK single - Promo single
- "The Last Fight" – 4:18
- 7" limited edition single - Digital single (other countries)
- "The Last Fight" - 4:18
- "Begging for Mercy" - 3:55
- Bullet for My Valentine
- Matthew "Matt" Tuck - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Jason "Jay" James - bass guitar, vocals
- Michael "Padge" Paget - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Michael "Moose" Thomas - drums
- Additional musicians
- Matt Bond - piano on "The Last Fight (Acoustic Version)"
- "Bullet For My Valentine Announce Title Of New Album". Rock Sound. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- "Bullet For My Valentine Celebrate Record Store Day". Rock Sound. 16 April 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE: New Album Title, Release Date Announced". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- Cartey, Richard (25 April 2010). "Reviews: Bullet For My Valentine - Fever". Rock Sound. Retrieved 25 April 2010.
"[...] Fever is unlikely to win Bullet For My Valentine more respect amongst their peers, but this could be the album to persuade non-believers."
- Rauf, Raziq (16 April 2010). "Bullet For My Valentine - Fever Review". BBC. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
"[...] This collection will raise the temperatures of metal fans across the globe."
- BBC - Radio 1 - Charts - UK Top 40 Rock Singles Chart
- australian-charts.com - Australian charts portal
- "Your Betrayal - Music Video Description". Underground Video Television. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- "Bullet For My Valentine Shooting Two New Videos". Rochester At Home. 24 February 2010. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- Official Bullet for My Valentine website
- Bullet for My Valentine on Myspace
- Bullet for My Valentine on Twitter
- Lyrics of «The Last Fight» (Russian)
- Jive Records
- The Last Fight (Music video) on YouTube