The Lawless Years
|The Lawless Years|
|Directed by||Allen H. Miner
|Theme music composer||Raoul Kraushaar
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||47|
|Running time||25 mins.|
|Production company(s)||Jack Chertok Television Productions
California National Productions
|Original run||April 16, 1959– September 22, 1961|
The Lawless Years is an American crime drama series that aired on NBC from April 16, 1959, to September 22, 1961. The series is the first of its kind set during the Roaring 20s, having predated ABC's far more successful The Untouchables by six months. The series stars James Gregory and Robert Karnes.
James Gregory stars as real-life NYPD Detective Barney Ruditsky, with Robert Karnes as Max, his associate. Ruditsky, who had become a private investigator in Hollywood after retiring from law enforcement, served as the show's technical advisor. Jack Chertok was the producer.
- Tige Andrews
- Clegg Hoyt
- Martin Landau
- Ruta Lee
- Vic Morrow
- Warren Oates
- Burt Reynolds
- Harry Dean Stanton
- Nita Talbot
The program debuted at the 10:30 p.m. Eastern slot on Thursday after Groucho Marx's You Bet Your Life. The last third of Playhouse 90 ran on CBS at the same time. In the 1961 run, the series aired on Friday.
On September 25, 2012, Timeless Media Group released The Lawless Years - The Complete Series on Region 1 DVD. The 6-disc set features all 47 episodes of the series. Alpha Video has released two individual volumes on DVD-R, each containing four episodes from the series. A third is slated to release on February 25, 2014
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, New York: Penguin Books, 1996, 4th ed., p. 472
- 1959-1960 American network television schedule
- Lambert, David (July 13, 2012). "The Lawless Years - 'The Complete Series' of the '59 Show on Timeless DVDs". tvshowsondvd.com. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Alpha Video - Lawless Years, Volume 1". Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Alpha Video - Lawless Years, Volume 2". Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Alpha Video - Lawless Years, Volume 3". Retrieved 2014-01-30.