Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
|Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Farhad Mann|
|Produced by||Keith Fox
|Screenplay by||Farhad Mann|
|Story by||Farhad Mann
|Music by||Robert Folk|
|Edited by||James D. Mitchell
Peter E. Berger (uncredited)
|Distributed by||New Line Cinema|
|Box office||$2,409,225 (USA)|
Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace is a 1996 science fiction film, and the sequel to The Lawnmower Man, which was titled after a Stephen King short story of the same title, but the stories are unrelated. Retitled Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War for video release, the film stars Matt Frewer as Jobe along with Patrick Bergin and Austin O'Brien.
The founder of virtual reality, Dr. Benjamin Trace (Patrick Bergin), has lost a legal battle to secure a patent on the most powerful worldwide communications chip ever invented. Touted as the one operating system to control all others, in the wrong hands the "Chiron Chip" has the potential to dominate a society dependent on computers.
When corporate tycoon and virtual reality entrepreneur Jonathan Walker (Kevin Conway) takes over development of the Chiron Chip, he and his team discover Jobe Smith (Matt Frewer) barely alive after the explosion at the end of the first film. Reconstructing his face and hooking him up to their database, they plan to use Jobe to help them perfect the Chiron Chip.
Six years later, a now 16-year-old Peter Parkette (Austin O'Brien) is a computer hacker and lives in the subways of Los Angeles with his girlfriend and two other friends. While hooked into cyberspace, Jobe reconnects with Peter and asks him to find Dr. Trace for him. After Peter finds Trace, they discover that Jobe is back to his old ways and plots to finish what he started in the first film.
Joining forces with Trace's former lover, Trace, Peter and his friends must go on a race against time to save the world from Jobe's diabolical scheme and face him in one last battle in cyberspace. In the end, Trace defeats the villain with help from Jobe who turns back into his former good self.
- Patrick Bergin as Dr. Benjamin Trace
- Matt Frewer as Jobe Smith
- Austin O'Brien as Peter Parkette
- Ely Pouget as Dr. Cori Platt
- Kevin Conway as Jonathan Walker
- Camille Cooper as Jennifer
- Patrick LaBrecque as Shawn
- Crystal Celeste Grant as Jade
- Sean P. Young as Travis
- Mathew Valencia as Homeless Kid
- Trever O'Brien as Young Peter
- Richard Fancy as Senator Greenspan
- Ellis Williams as Chief of Security
- Castulo Guerra as Guillermo
- Molly Shannon as Homeless Lady
Lawnmower Man 2 was poorly received by critics, with an 11% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 9 reviews with an average rating of 2.8/10. The plot and characters were generally panned, while the visual effects received mixed reviews.
- Second weekend in box office performance – Biggest second weekend drops, for other films with similar second weekend drops
- Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
- The Austin Chronicle: Film Listings
- Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
- 'Lawnmover Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace' (PG-13)
- Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace at the Internet Movie Database
- Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace at Rotten Tomatoes