The Leela Palace Chennai
|The Leela Palace Chennai|
|Hotel chain||The Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts|
|Address||MRC Nagar, R.A.Puram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 028
|Management||The Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts|
|Height||64.8 m (213 ft)|
|Floor area||831,000-square-foot (77,200 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||SRSS & Associates, Inc. (Eskay Design, Local Architects)|
|Number of rooms||338|
|The Leela Palace Chennai|
The Leela Palace Chennai is a five star deluxe hotel in Chennai, India. It is located at MRC Nagar, R.A.Puram, in the Adyar creek area in the southern end of the Marina Beach. The hotel is designed by Atlanta-based architects Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart and Associates, Inc. and is themed after the Chettinad architecture of Tamil Nadu. With the project cost exceeding ₹ 8,000 million, the hotel was expected to open in September 2012. However, delays in construction and operation preparation have pushed its inaugural date to January 2013.
The land for the hotel was acquired from industrialist M. A. M. Ramaswamy for about ₹ 700 million.
In September 2014, ESPA, a 16,000-square feet spa, was opened at the hotel.
Located on 6.25 acres near Adyar creek facing the Bay of Bengal, the 16-story hotel with a built-up area of 831,000 sq ft has 338 rooms. It features 2,200 sq m of banquet and meeting facilities, including a 1,390 sq m ballroom and a roof-top function terrace, a traditional landscaped courtyard, restaurants and bars, a 1,394 sq m health club/spa and a 1,060 sq m boutique retail plaza. There are a total of 6 meeting rooms in the hotel. The project will use LED lights for all its external lighting and all major internal areas and will also collect water on a major scale from rain water harvesting.
The 12-room ESPA spa was designed by Jeffrey Wilkes of DesignWilkes and Madhu Nair of The Leela Hotel. It covers an area of 16,000 sq. ft.
The hotel also has a 250,000 sq ft commercial property, the Leela Business Park, located next to the hotel property. However, the group is planning to sell the commercial property to raise funds for its hotel venture. Talks were on with the Reliance Industries, which was planning to buy the IT Park for ₹ 1,720 million. Reliance Industries signed the deal in late February for the said amount.
- Ravikumar, R. (6 November 2011). "Leelaventure, Viceroy hotel Chennai projects hit roadblock". The Hindu Business Line (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 30 Dec 2011.
- "The Leela Palace Kempinski Chennai". Emporis.com. Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- The Leela Palace Chennai at Emporis
- "The Leela Palace Kempinski Chennai". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- "Leela Palace to open sea-facing palace hotel in Chennai". The Economic Times (Chennai: The Times Group). 18 August 2012. Retrieved 21 Aug 2012.
- "Kempinski Hotels under development in India". Kempinski.com. Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- Philip, Lijee (8 September 2010). "Leela patriarch charts plan to protect empire". The Economic Times (Mumbai: The Times Group). Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- Kaushik, Nidhi. "Indian Essence". Asian Enterprise (Asian Enterprise). Retrieved 9 Jan 2012.
- Jain, Shweta (4 January 2012). "Leela Group plans Middle East investment". Gulf News (GulfNews.com). Retrieved 5 Jan 2012.
- Ramesh, M. (7 September 2010). "The Leela opened in January 2013 in Chennai". Business Line (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- "ESPA opens at The Leela Palace Chennai—The Leela expands unparalleled spa and wellness experiences to fifth city in India". Incentive Travel & Corporate Meetings (ITCM). 9 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Hotel Leela’s new launch in Chennai". Money Control (Chennai: MoneyControl.com). 29 November 2012. Retrieved 30 Nov 2012.
- Anand, Swati (27 January 2011). "Chennai to double five star hotel room by year end". The Times of India (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 5 Jan 2012.
- "The Leela Palace Chennai, Chennai, India". Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart. Retrieved 30 Dec 2011.
- "The Leela Palace Chennai". Preferred Hotel Group. Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- "Director Report". The Economic Times (The Times Group). 23 May 2011. Retrieved 7 Jan 2012.
- Baggonkar, Swaraj (27 August 2012). "Leela Palace Chennai readying for November opening". Business Standard (Mumbai: Business Standard). Retrieved 10 Sep 2012.
- "Hotel Leela sees Rs 620 cr from sale of non-core assets". Money Control (MoneyControl.com). 3 October 2012. Retrieved 3 Oct 2012.
- Chandramouli, Rajesh; Anshul Dhamija (7 November 2012). "Reliance Industries in talks to buy Leela's IT park". The Economic Times (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 7 Nov 2012.