The Leela Palace Chennai
|The Leela Palace Bangalore|
|Address||MRC Nagar, R.A.Puram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 028
|Hotel chain||The Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts|
|Architect||SRSS & Associates, Inc. (Eskay Design, Local Architects)|
|Management||The Leela Palaces, Hotels and Resorts|
|Total floor area||831,000-square-foot (77,200 m2)|
|Total height||64.8 m (213 ft)|
|Website||The Leela Palace Chennai|
The Leela Palace Chennai is a five star deluxe hotel in Chennai, India which is nearing completion. It is located at MRC Nagar, R.A.Puram, in the Adyar creek area in the southern end of the Marina Beach. The hotel is designed by Atlanta-based architects Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart and Associates, Inc. and is themed after the Chettinad architecture of Tamil Nadu. With the project cost exceeding 8,000 million, the hotel was expected to open in September 2012. However, delays in construction and operation preparation have pushed its inaugural date to January 2013.
The land for the hotel was acquired from industrialist M. A. M. Ramaswamy for about 700 million.
The hotel 
Located on 6.25 acres near Adyar creek facing the Bay of Bengal, the 16-story hotel with a built-up area of 831,000 sq ft has 338 rooms. It features 2,200 sq m of banquet and meeting facilities, including a 1,390 sq m ballroom and a roof-top function terrace, a traditional landscaped courtyard, restaurants and bars, a 1,394 sq m health club/spa and a 1,060 sq m boutique retail plaza. There are a total of 6 meeting rooms in the hotel. The project will use LED lights for all its external lighting and all major internal areas and will also collect water on a major scale from rain water harvesting.
Software park 
The hotel also has a 250,000 sq ft commercial property, the Leela Business Park, located next to the hotel property. However, the group is planning to sell the commercial property to raise funds for its hotel venture. Talks were on with the Reliance Industries, which was planning to buy the IT Park for 1,720 million. Reliance Industries signed the deal in late February for the said amount.
See also 
- "The Leela Palace Kempinski Chennai". Emporis.com. Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- Ravikumar, R. (6 November 2011). "Leelaventure, Viceroy hotel Chennai projects hit roadblock". The Hindu Business Line (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 30-Dec-2011.
- The Leela Palace Chennai at Emporis
- "The Leela Palace Kempinski Chennai". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- "Leela Palace to open sea-facing palace hotel in Chennai". The Economic Times (Chennai: The Times Group). 18 August 2012. Retrieved 21-Aug-2012.
- "Kempinski Hotels under development in India". Kempinski.com. Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- Philip, Lijee (8 September 2010). "Leela patriarch charts plan to protect empire". The Economic Times (Mumbai: The Times Group). Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- Kaushik, Nidhi. "Indian Essence". Asian Enterprise (Asian Enterprise). Retrieved 9-Jan-2012.
- Jain, Shweta (4 January 2012). "Leela Group plans Middle East investment". Gulf News (GulfNews.com). Retrieved 5-Jan-2012.
- Ramesh, M. (7 September 2010). "The Leela opened in January 2013 in Chennai". Business Line (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- "Hotel Leela’s new launch in Chennai". Money Control (Chennai: MoneyControl.com). 29 November 2012. Retrieved 30-Nov-2012.
- Anand, Swati (27 January 2011). "Chennai to double five star hotel room by year end". The Times of India (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 5-Jan-2012.
- "The Leela Palace Chennai, Chennai, India". Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart. Retrieved 30-Dec-2011.
- "The Leela Palace Chennai". Preferred Hotel Group. Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- "Director Report". The Economic Times (The Times Group). 23 May 2011. Retrieved 7-Jan-2012.
- Baggonkar, Swaraj (27 August 2012). "Leela Palace Chennai readying for November opening". Business Standard (Mumbai: Business Standard). Retrieved 10-Sep-2012.
- "Hotel Leela sees Rs 620 cr from sale of non-core assets". Money Control (MoneyControl.com). 3 October 2012. Retrieved 3-Oct-2012.
- Chandramouli, Rajesh; Anshul Dhamija (7 November 2012). "Reliance Industries in talks to buy Leela's IT park". The Economic Times (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 7-Nov-2012.