The Leftovers (TV series)
|Based on||The Leftovers
by Tom Perrotta
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9 (List of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Nan Bernstein Freed|
|Running time||51–58 minutes
72 minutes (pilot)
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original run||June 29, 2014– present|
The Leftovers is an American television drama series created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta airing on HBO. It is based on Perrotta's novel of the same name. The pilot was written by Lindelof and Perrotta, and directed by Peter Berg. The series stars Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Emily Meade, Ann Dowd and Carrie Coon. It premiered on HBO on June 29, 2014. On August 13, 2014, HBO renewed The Leftovers for a second season.
The Leftovers takes place three years after a global "Rapture", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 2% of the world population. It centers on the ones left behind, in the fictional town of Mapleton, New York (not to be confused with the real-life hamlet of the same name).
Cast and characters
- Justin Theroux as Kevin Garvey, Jr., Mapleton's chief of police and father of two who is trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in this new world. The breakup of his family (none of whom—except his unborn daughter—were taken in the Sudden Departure) puts more and more of a strain on him.
- Amy Brenneman as Laurie Garvey, Kevin's wife and Tom and Jill's mother, who left her entire life behind, for reasons still unknown, to join a mysterious cult called the Guilty Remnant.
- Christopher Eccleston as Matt Jamison, a former reverend and current editor of his self-published tabloid. His main anguish comes from not accepting that he was not taken in the Sudden Departure.
- Liv Tyler as Megan Abbott, a woman about to get married when she becomes the target of the Guilty Remnant.
- Chris Zylka as Tommy Garvey, Laurie's son (that Kevin has raised as his own), who has recently dropped out of college and taken refuge with a mysterious guru called "Holy Wayne".
- Margaret Qualley as Jill Garvey, Kevin's teenaged, straight-A student daughter who is, as of the pilot, in a difficult relationship with him.
- Carrie Coon as Nora Durst, a wife and mother who lost her husband, son and daughter in the Sudden Departure. She is Matt's sister.
- Emily Meade as Aimee, a free-spirited high schooler, friend of Jill's, who seems unfazed by the rapture.
- Amanda Warren as Lucy Warburton, Mapleton's take-no-prisoners mayor.
- Ann Dowd as Patti Levin (Season 1), the leader of the local chapter of the Guilty Remnant.
- Michael Gaston as Dean, a man who seems to understand that times have changed, and addresses it head-on—often violently.
- Max Carver and Charlie Carver as Adam and Scott Frost respectively. They are identical twin brothers and happy-go-lucky types, whose upbeat demeanor brings levity to a grave situation.
- Annie Q. as Christine, one of Holy Wayne's many "groupies", for whom she apparently has a special and mysterious meaning. She is also a friend of Tommy's.
- Paterson Joseph as "Holy" Wayne Henry Gilchrest, Jr., a mysterious guru.
- Frank Harts as Dennis Luckey, a police officer who works with Kevin.
- Scott Glenn as Kevin Garvey, Sr., Mapleton's former chief of police who has been committed to a mental health institute.
- Janel Moloney as Mary Jamison, Matt's wife, who became paralyzed after an accident during the Sudden Departure.
- Marceline Hugot as Gladys, a member of the Guilty Remnant.
Development and production
HBO acquired rights for series development with Perrotta attached as writer/executive producer and Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger as executive producers in August 2011, shortly before the book came out.
The pilot was ordered in February 2013. On September 16, 2013, HBO announced that they were taking The Leftovers to series, ordering a 10-episode first season. The Leftovers is the first HBO series to be acquired from an outside studio, Warner Bros. Television, and not solely produced by HBO.
The Leftovers has been met with mixed-to-positive reviews. On Metacritic, the show has a score of 65 out of 100, based on 41 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, the show has a rating of 69% based on 58 reviews, with an average score of 6.8 out of 10, and the consensus states "Its dour tone and self-seriousness may make for somber viewing, but The Leftovers is an artfully crafted, thought-provoking drama that aims high and often hits its mark."
Season 1 (2014)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||1||"Pilot"||Peter Berg||Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta||June 29, 2014||276070||1.77|
|Kevin Garvey is a police chief in Mapleton, New York, working to keep order after the mysterious Sudden Departure, an unexplained event that occurred three years prior which saw the disappearance of 2% of the world's population. His wife, Laurie, has left him to join the Guilty Remnant, an organization with unknown motives that emphasizes the silence of its members. His son, Tom, has also left him to become a follower of Holy Wayne, a messianic figure. Kevin's daughter, Jill, lives with him and is in high school, but the erosion of her family life leads her to outbursts of aggression. During a parade to honor the victims of the Sudden Departure, the Guilty Remnants hold a protest and are attacked by the angered townspeople. Afterward, Kevin begs Laurie to return home with him, but she refuses to speak to him.|
|2||2||"Penguin One, Us Zero"||Peter Berg||Damon Lindelof & Kath Lingenfelter||July 6, 2014||4X5702||1.55|
|When an ATFEC team attacks Holy Wayne's hideout, Tommy kills somebody for the first time in order to protect Christine's life. Meg has been living at the GR residence for weeks and becomes frustrated at her apparent lack of progress into their ranks. Following his night shooting dogs with Dean, Kevin's stability is questioned by his deputies and Lucy. He later visits his institutionalized father when he himself feels his sanity unraveling. Tommy's guilt is exacerbated by his growing animosity towards Wayne. Jill, Aimee and the twins spend the day following Nora after Jill spots a pistol in Nora's purse.|
|3||3||"Two Boats and a Helicopter"||Keith Gordon||Damon Lindelof & Jacqueline Hoyt||July 13, 2014||4X5703||1.38|
|Reverend Matt Jamison is steadfast in his belief that the Departed have all been less than Heroes, despite the abuse this earns him from the public. Matt faces foreclosure on his church. Following an apparent sign from God, he wins enough money at the casino to buy it back. Encountering an unknown assailant throwing rocks at members of the Guilty Remnant, Matt tries to help, only to be hit by a rock himself, and knocked unconscious. Upon waking he learns he has missed the foreclosure deadline by two days; it is revealed that the Guilty Remnant have bought his church.|
|4||4||"B.J. and the A.C."||Lesli Linka Glatter & Carl Franklin||Damon Lindelof & Elizabeth Peterson||July 20, 2014||4X5704||1.62|
|Christmas comes to Mapleton but not without its problems. Kevin is tasked with finding the baby Jesus from the town's nativity scene, which was stolen by his own daughter Jill, unbeknownst to him. Eventually the twins leave the baby Jesus on Kevin's doorstep, but another doll is placed in the nativity scene before Kevin can return the doll. Tom takes the pregnant Christine to a hospital. On the night of the Christmas ball, GR members sneak into Mapleton residents' homes and remove pictures of the departed.|
|5||5||"Gladys"||Mimi Leder||Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta||July 27, 2014||4X5705||1.59|
|Gladys, a devout member of the Guilty Remnant, is brutally stoned to death. As the rest of the GR goes on lockdown, Patti takes Laurie to a diner and tests her faith. As Kevin investigates Gladys' murder, he resists pressure to hand the case over to the FBI. While calling them to cancel a Federal inquiry, he learns that he has the option to let the government simply exterminate Patti's chapter of the GR. Reverend Jamison holds a vigil outside the GR's safe house, but is personally rejected by Laurie.|
|6||6||"Guest"||Carl Franklin||Damon Lindelof & Kath Lingenfelter||August 3, 2014||4X5706||1.47|
|Kevin and Nora have an interaction in the Mapleton courthouse. Nora attends a departure related conference in New York City as a panelist and discovers someone is impersonating her on her panel. Unable to officially attend, she wanders the hotel, spending time at a party where she kisses a departure replica, then encountering Holy Wayne, who hugs her, seemingly purging her anxieties. Returning to Mapleton, she takes Kevin up on his offer.|
|7||7||"Solace for Tired Feet"||Mimi Leder||Damon Lindelof & Jacqueline Hoyt||August 10, 2014||4X5707||1.58|
|Kevin and Nora have a date interrupted by the Guilty Remnant. Kevin's father escapes from the mental hospital, and the MPD make his re-capture a priority. Tom discovers that Wayne has impregnated another young girl, whom he also said "she means everything". After an encounter with the girl and her caretaker, Tom begins to question his devotion to Wayne, who seems to be growing increasingly unglued. Kevin's father insists he read an issue of National Geographic. Kevin and Nora spend the night together. Christine gives birth to Wayne's child.|
|8||8||"Cairo"||Michelle MacLaren||Curtis Gwinn & Carlito Rodriguez||August 17, 2014||4X5708||1.64|
|Patti arranges for a major move by the GR on Memorial Day. Kevin invites Nora over for dinner with Jill and Aimee. Jill and Aimee have a falling out, and Aimee moves out of the Garvey residence. Jill later shows up at the GR's house. Kevin and Dean attempt to deal with Patti, whom they kidnapped the night before. In Patti's absence, Laurie takes charge of the Memorial Day plan. Patti speaks candidly to Kevin about the GR and their motives, and tries to persuade Dean, then Kevin, to kill her. When Kevin refuses, and decides to release Patti and face the consequences, she commits suicide.|
|9||9||"The Garveys at Their Best"||Daniel Sackheim||Kath Lingenfelter & Damon Lindelof||August 24, 2014||4X5709||1.85|
|A flashback recounts Mapleton residents' experiences during the days leading up to the Departure. A surprise birthday party is thrown for Kevin's father. Laurie is revealed to be a psychiatrist, and Patti her patient, who senses an upcoming apocalyptic event. Tom has a violent confrontation with his biological father; Kevin then attacks the man. Jill prepares for a science fair. Nora spends time with her family and interviews for a job working for a mayoral candidate. Kevin pursues a deer that is wreaking havoc around Mapleton. He chases it to a house where it flees and is hit by the car. The driver is an attractive woman who invites him to her hotel room. During the Departure, Kevin is having sex with the woman when she disappears; Nora snaps at her family right before they disappear; Jill forms a circuit at the science fair when one child in the circle disappears; Laurie has an ultrasound and witnesses the disappearance of the fetus.|
|10||10||"The Prodigal Son Returns"||Mimi Leder||Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta||September 7, 2014||4X5710||TBA|
- Adalian, Josef (June 28, 2012). "Damon Lindelof Talks to Vulture About His New HBO Project: Tom Perotta's The Leftovers". Vulture. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 12, 2013). "Peter Berg to Direct, Produce Damon Lindelof's HBO Pilot 'The Leftovers'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 25, 2014). "'The Leftovers' Premiere Date Shifted to June 29". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- Snierson, Dan (August 13, 2014). "HBO renews 'The Leftovers'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 25, 2013). "Amy Brenneman To Co-Star In HBO Pilot 'The Leftovers'". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 10, 2013). "Christopher Eccleston, Carrie Coon Among 4 Cast in Damon Lindelof's 'The Leftovers'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Marechal, AJ (June 13, 2013). "Liv Tyler Cast in HBO Pilot 'The Leftovers'". Variety. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 26, 2013). "HBO's 'Leftovers' Admits 'Secret Circle's' Chris Zylka". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 20, 2013). "Cable Pilots 'The Leftovers', 'Quarry' & 'The Strain' Add To Casts". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 18, 2013). "Michael Gaston Cast In HBO's 'Leftovers', Amanda Walsh Leads Fox's 'WTF America'". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 24, 2013). "Charlie & Max Carver Join HBO's 'Leftovers'". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 8, 2013). "Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta's ‘Leftovers’ Gets Pilot Order At HBO". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (February 8, 2014). "Damon Lindelof's 'The Leftovers' Scores Pilot Order at HBO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 16, 2013). "Damon Lindelof's 'The Leftovers' Gets Series Order At HBO". Deadline.com. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (September 16, 2013). "Damon Lindelof's 'The Leftovers' Ordered to Series at HBO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Marechal, AJ (June 4, 2013). "Justin Theroux to Star in Damon Lindelof’s HBO Pilot ‘The Leftovers’". Variety. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- "The Leftovers : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "The Leftovers: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 1, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'BET Awards' Leads Night + World Cup Soccer, 'True Blood', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'The Last Ship' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 9, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'The Last Ship', 'Falling Skies', 'The Leftovers', 'Devious Maids', 'Witches of East End', & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 15, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Tops Night + 'The Strain', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'The Last Ship' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 22, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'The Last Ship', 'The Strain', 'Witches of East End', 'Ray Donovan' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Leads Night + NASCAR, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'The Last Ship', 'The Strain' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 5, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'The Strain', 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians', 'The Last Ship', 'The Leftovers', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 12, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Shark of Darkness: Wrath of Submarine' Tops Night + 'True Blood', 'Air Jaws', NASCAR & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 19, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'The Strain', 'The Last Ship', 'The Leftovers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 26, 2014). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Video Music Awards' Tops Night + 'True Blood', 'The Strain', 'The Last Ship' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- "(#10/110) "The Prodigal Son Returns"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 16, 2014.