The Lion and the Cobra
|The Lion and the Cobra|
|Studio album by Sinéad O'Connor|
|Released||4 November 1987|
|Recorded||1986–1987, Oasis Studios, London|
|Genre||Alternative rock, pop rock|
|Sinéad O'Connor chronology|
U.S. cover art
|Singles from The Lion and the Cobra|
The photograph of O'Connor on the album cover was taken by Haysi Fantayzee member Kate Garner. The U.S. cover differed from the European release, as it was felt a more subdued pose would present a "softer" image of O'Connor.
The video for "Mandinka" was shown heavily after debuting 24 January 1988 on 120 Minutes on MTV. The single was a mainstream pop hit in the UK, peaking at #17 in the singles chart, as well as her native Ireland. "I Want Your (Hands On Me)" debuted in May 1988 on the same show, featuring a rap interlude by MC Lyte. The song was featured in the 1988 horror film A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.
The album featured prominent session musicians John Reynolds on drums, former Adam and the Ants and Siouxsie and the Banshees guitarist Marco Pirroni and Mike Clowes from Friction Groove on keyboards.
Additional single b-sides include "Still Listening" and "The Value of Ignorance".
The album sold 2,500,000 copies worldwide.
Slant Magazine listed the album at #46 on its list of "Best Albums of the 1980s saying "The Lion and the Cobra is regal, majestic, and allegorical, an album rife with images of war, slain dragons, and ghosts, and it's one of the most electrifying debuts in rock history".
All songs written and composed by Sinéad O'Connor, except where noted.
|3.||"Jerusalem"||O'Connor, Ali McMordie, Mike Clowes, John Reynolds||4:20|
|4.||"Just Like U Said It Would B"||O'Connor, Steve Wickham||4:32|
|5.||"Never Get Old" (spoken-word intro by Enya)||4:39|
|7.||"I Want Your (Hands on Me)"||O'Connor, Clowes, Reynolds, Rob Dean, Spike Holifield||4:42|
|8.||"Drink Before the War"||O'Connor, Clowes, Reynolds||5:25|
|9.||"Just Call Me Joe"||O'Connor, Kevin Mooney, Leslie Winer||5:51|
- Sinéad O'Connor – vocals, electric guitar, producer, Audio mixing, arranger
- Kevin Moloney – Producer, Engineer, Audio mixing
- Fachtna O'Ceallaigh - Audio mixing
- Marco Pirroni – electric and acoustic guitars
- 'Spike' Holifield – bass
- Rob Dean – electric and acoustic guitars
- John Reynolds – drums, programming
- Mike Clowes – synthesizer, keyboards, string arrangements on "Troy"
- Kevin Mooney - All Guitars & Bass Guitar on "Just Call Me Joe"
- Gavyn Wright – orchestra director
- Enya – speaking part on "Never Get Old"
- Leslie Winer - spoken words on "Just Call Me Joe"
- Terence Morris, Lloyd Phillips & Chris Birkett – Mixing on "Mandinka" & "I Want Your Hands On Me"
- Jack Adams – mastering
- Kate Garner, Kim Bowen – photography
- John Maybury, Steve Horse – art direction, cover art
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "The Lion and the Cobra - Sinéad O'Connor". Allmusic.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Sinéad O'Connor". Robert Christgau.
- DeCurtis, Andrew (1988-01-28). "The Lion And The Cobra". Rolling Stone.
- Cinquemani, Sal (2007-08-13). "Sinéad O'Connor: The Lion and the Cobra". Slant Magazine.
- Donnelly, Dave (2006-11-04). "Sinéad O'Connor - The Lion And The Cobra (staff review)". Sputnikmusic.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Sinead O'Connor". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved January 17, 2014.