The Little Museum of Dublin
A People's Museum
As a civic museum for the city of Dublin, the Little Museum chronicles the history of the city in the 20th century. It provides visitors with an intimate and informative glimpse into life in Dublin during that time period. The Little Museum, the “brainchild” of director Trevor White and curator Simon O’Connor, was formed in April 2011 and officially opened its doors to the public in October of the same year.
The museum has a collection of over 5,000 artifacts that have been donated or loaned directly from the people of Dublin. It has three floors of exhibition space in the Georgian town home, one floor for office space, and an acclaimed Irish café, Hatch & Sons Irish Kitchen, in the basement.
The museum also offers “I Love Dublin” classes for school children ages 6–17, and a tourist greeter program, City of a Thousand Welcomes, which the Sydney Morning Herald describes as “the best free thing to do in Europe”.
Awards and Acclamations
In 2012, the Little Museum of Dublin was nominated for the European Museum of the Year Award.
In May 2013, the Irish Times described the Little Museum as “the best museum experience in Dublin”. Also in 2013, TripAdvisor awarded the Little Museum with a Certificate of Excellence for the second year in a row. They rank the Little Museum as the #14 attraction to see in Dublin.
Over twenty-five thousand people visited the Little Museum in the first full year of operation, and that figure is expected to increase by 20% in 2013.
- "Visit the Little Museum, says Ethine Owens” Ethine Owens in Vulgo, retrieved Jul. 17, 2013.
- “Warning: Dip Ahead” Jane Reddy, June 30, 2013 in Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved Jul. 17, 2013.
- “The Little Museum of Dublin” Ask About Ireland,retrieved Jul. 17, 2013.
- “Best of…Culture” Rosa Abbott and Daniel Gray,May 18, 2013, in the Irish Times. Retrieved Jul. 17, 2013.
- "The Little Museum of Dublin" TripAdvisor, retrieved July 17, 2013.
- The Little Museum of Dublin Website
- Newstalk Interview
- City of a Thousand Welcomes
- Hatch & Sons Irish Kitchen Facebook Page