The Lone Bellow
|The Lone Bellow|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Genres||Alt-country, alternative rock, blues, country rock, folk rock, indie folk, indie rock, pop rock, roots rock, soul|
|Members||Zach Williams (guitar, lead vocals)
Kanene Donehey Pipkin (mandolin, vocals)
Brian Elmquist (guitar, vocals)
The Lone Bellow is an American musical group from Brooklyn.
The Lone Bellow began as a songwriting project for Zach Williams, whose wife had suffered temporary paralysis following a horseback riding accident. During his wife's recovery, Williams coped with the experience by writing in a journal. At the urging of his friends, Williams learned how to play the guitar and turned his journal entries into songs. Following his wife's recovery, the couple moved to New York City in order to pursue their creative endeavors.[better source needed]
Previously, Williams had been performing as a solo act around Brooklyn and New York City, occasionally being backed by a hired band.<.[better source needed] Williams recalls when The Lone Bellow's guitarist and old friend, Brian Elmquist met at Dizzy's Diner in Park Slope.[better source needed] Williams invited fellow singer Kanene Pipkin to join them at the diner, and it was then that the trio was initially conceived. Initially known as Zach Williams and the Bellow, the band shortened its name to The Lone Bellow before putting out any official releases. In 2012, the group signed with Descendant Records, a newly formed imprint of Sony Music, and released its self-titled debut, produced by Charlie Peacock, in January 2013. It was recorded at local NYC venue Rockwood Music Hall over the course of three days.
The album appeared at No. 64 on the Bilboard 200. People named it no. 8 of the Top 10 Albums of 2013 and Entertainment Weekly said it was "One of the top reasons to love country music in 2013". The album was featured on 10 different Best of 2013 year-end lists.
The band announced in early 2014 that they would be recording a new album with producer Aaron Dessner of The National. The band released the first single from the album, "Then Came the Morning", which premiered on NPR's website on October 6, 2014. The band released a second single, titled "Faked Roses", which premiered on Stereogum on November 3, 2014. The album is set to be released early 2015.[better source needed]
- Zach Williams - guitar, lead vocals
- Kanene Donehey Pipkin - mandolin, vocals
- Brian Elmquist - guitar, vocals
- The Lone Bellow (Descendant Records, 2013) U.S. No. 64
- "Then Came the Morning (single)" (Descendant Records, 2014)
- "Fake Roses (single)" (Descendant Records, 2014)
- Review, No Depression
- "Official Website". www.thelonebellow. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- The Lone Bellow at Allmusic
- Spotlight: The Lone Bellow. Billboard
- Review, Paste
- Review, Tampa Bay Times
- "The Lone Bellow-Chart History". Billboard.com. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "All Songs Considered: The Lone Bellow 'Then Came the Morning'". NPR.
- "The Lone Bellow-"Fake Roses" (Stereogum Premiere)". Stereogum.
- "Official Facebook". Facebook-The Lone Bellow.
- Awards, Allmusic
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|