The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum (film)
|The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum|
|Directed by||Volker Schlöndorff
Margarethe von Trotta
|Written by||Heinrich Böll (novel)
|Music by||Hans Werner Henze|
|Edited by||Peter Przygodda|
The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, or: how violence develops and where it can lead (German original title: Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum oder: Wie Gewalt entstehen und wohin sie führen kann) is a 1975 film adaptation by Volker Schlöndorff and Margarethe von Trotta of the novel of the same name by Heinrich Böll.
The title character is an innocent housekeeper whose life is ruined by an invasive tabloid reporter and a police investigation when the man with whom she has just fallen in love turns out to be a radical bank robber. The film, unlike the novel, ends with a scene at Tötges' funeral, with his publisher delivering a hypocritical condemnation of the murder as an infringement on the freedom of the press.
- Angela Winkler – Katharina Blum
- Mario Adorf – Kommissar Beizmenne (Inspector Beizmenne)
- Dieter Laser – Werner Tötges
- Jürgen Prochnow – Ludwig Götten
- Heinz Bennent – Dr. Hubert Blorna
- Hannelore Hoger – Trude Blorna
In the beginning of Heinrich Böll's book, and at the end of Schlöndorff's cinematic interpretation of it, the following text appears:
The characters and action in this story are purely fictitious. Should the description of certain journalistic practices result in a resemblance to the practices of Bild-Zeitung, such resemblance is neither intentional, nor fortuitous, but unavoidable.
In interviews for the 2003 Criterion Collection DVD release of the film, Schlöndorff and other crew members argue for the film's continued relevance today, drawing an analogy between the political climate of panic over terrorism in 1970s West Germany and the post-September 11, 2001 situation in the U.S. where unsubstantiated media hype was used to launch the invasion of Iraq.
- Gerhardt, Christina. "Surveillance Mechanisms in Literature and Film: Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum by Böll and Schlöndorff / Von Trotta". Gegenwartsliteratur 7 (2008): 69-83.
- The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum at the Internet Movie Database
- The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum at AllMovie
|This article related to a German film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|