The Low Lows (band)
|The Low Lows|
Parker of The Low Lows
|Origin||Athens, Georgia, USA|
|Members||Mangham Parker aka Parker Noon
|Past members||Daniel Rickard
Darian Mola Momanee
Perrish and Bassam Mussad
Kevin and David Nelson
Brandon Newton (musician)
The Low Lows was formed in Athens, Georgia in 2005, originally consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Mangham Parker (aka Parker Noon), organist Daniel Rickard, and drummer Jeremy Wheatley, all of whom are former members of the band Parker and Lily. Parker has been the only constant in the band, as Rickard and Wheatley left the band in 2008 and there have been several other musicians who have joined the band and left since the band was formed.
The current lineup resides in Austin, Texas, USA. With the move to Austin, their live performances found them creating lavish walls of sound, playing with as many as fourteen musicians at once. They have toured extensively in the U.S. and Europe, receiving much critical acclaim and playing for high profile venues, including Austin City Limits.
In 2006, they released their debut album, Fire On the Bright Sky, followed by their single Elizabeth Pier (2007) and in 2008, they released their second full length album Shining Violence. After three years of touring, in early February 2011, it was reported that in the upcoming months, they would be releasing a new full length album titled Gaudy Frame, however the album was postponed. In March, 2013, it was reported that two new albums would be released in succession in 2013. These were identified as the above mentioned Gaudy Frame and a second album titled Light All The Lights.
The Low Lows songs are often considered haunting, surreal and melancholic. Their choruses often grow to become appropriately "noise drenched" and swell with a dissonance, toying with chaos, yet somehow remaining elegant, often resolving with an underlying sense of familiarity.
Their style is hard to place into any combination of genres (let alone one), but is consistently referred to as experimental, lo-fi alternative rock. Their choice of instruments (see link below: members/instruments) is also likely the reason they are also often considered alt-country or progressive country with old gospel influences. For reasons not yet explained by the band, their MySpace page defines their style as simply thrash. They have been compared to bands such as South San Gabriel, Castanets, My Morning Jacket, Phosphorescent, and Band of Horses.
- Mangham Parker (aka Parker Noon) - lead vocals, vox, guitar (2005–present)
- Matt Verta-Ray (2005–present)
- Brockett Hamilton - lap steel guitar, harmonica (2009–Present)
- Zachary Larkins (2012–Present)
- Daniel Rickard - acoustic guitar, bass organ, harmonica, vocals (2005–2008)
- Jeremy Wheatley - drums (on the first 5 tours and 2 records) (2005–2008)
- Lily Wolfe (on the first 3 tours and 2 records) - organs etc. (2005–2008)
- Christina Campanella (2005-2008)
- Abram Shook - organ (Euro Tour '08) (2008-2008)
- Patrick Ferguson - drums (2008-2008)
- Bryan Crowell - guitar, farfisa, rhodes bass (2009-2012)
- Nick Warrenchuck - trombone drums (2009-2011)
- Greg McCue - drums (2009-2011)
- Heidi Johnson - trombone, acetone organ, Wurlitzer (2009-2010)
- Kullen Fuchs - trumpet and vibraphone (2009-2010)
- Mike St.Claire - trombone and trumpet (2009-2011)
- Matt Bricker - trumpet, acetone organ (2009-2010)
- Brandon Newton (2012-2012)
- Mikey Dwyer - bass (Euro Tour '08)
- Eva Hanna - bass
- Page Campbell - guitar
- Matt Stossel - steel guitar
- John Neff - steel guitar
- Brent Jones - drums
- Josiah McG - drums
- Amanda Kapousouz - strings
- Perrish and Bassam Mussad - trumpets
- Kevin and David Nelson - trombones
- Jared Theis - clarinet
- Darian Mola Momanee - trumpet and tambourine
- Paul Simpson - singing saw
- Nick Warrenchuk - trombone
- Fire On the Bright Sky LP - 2006 (Warm)
- Shining Violence LP - 2008 (Monotreme)
- Gaudy Frame LP - To Be Released - 2013
- Light All The Lights LP - To Be Released - 2013
- "The Low Lows: History". The Low Lows. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Meehan, Margaret. "Glasstire: Texas visual art online - Mirror Mirror". Glasstire.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "The Low Lows". Monotreme Records. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "The Low Lows – Discover music, videos, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- Hopkin, Kenyon. "((( The Low Lows > Biography )))". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Warm Electronic Recordings - Bands : The Low Lows". Thewarmsupercomputer.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "the LOW LOWS op MySpace Music – Gratis gestreamde MP3’s, foto’s en Videoclips". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "The Low Lows: Schedule". sxsw.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "The Low Lows: Fire on the Bright Sky". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "The Low Lows". manghamparker.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "The Low Lows at the Ghost Room [Show Preview]: Austinist". austinist.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "The Low Lows < PopMatters". Popmatters.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Low Lows, The - Shining Violence - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.net. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- About, More (2007-05-19). "The Devil Has The Best Tuna: The Low Lows". Besttuna.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Tags for The Low Lows – Discover music, videos, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Shining Violence: The Low Lows: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "The Low Lows lyrics - Artist overview at The Lyric Archive". Thelyricarchive.com. 2007-07-22. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "MISRA". Misrarecords.com. Retrieved 2010-05-27.[dead link]
- "Monotreme Records: The Low Lows". Monotreme Records. Retrieved 2010-05-27.