The Machine Girl
|The Machine Girl|
|Directed by||Noboru Iguchi|
|Produced by||Yoshinori Chiba
|Written by||Noboru Iguchi|
|Music by||Takashi Nakagawa|
|Editing by||Kenji Tanabe|
|Distributed by||Fever Dreams|
|Running time||96 minutes|
The Machine Girl (片腕マシンガール Kataude Mashin Gāru ) is a 2008 Japanese action shock/gore film written and directed by Noboru Iguchi with special effects by Yoshihiro Nishimura (who went on to direct Tokyo Gore Police). The film stars Minase Yashiro as Ami, Asami as Miki, Kentarō Shimazu as Ryūgi Kimura and Honoka as his wife. It is about an orphaned Japanese schoolgirl whose life is destroyed when her brother is killed by a son of a Ninja-Yakuza clan. When her hand is cut off, she replaces it with a makeshift machine gun and seeks revenge.
Ami Hyūga is an average high school girl whose world comes crashing down when her brother Yu and his friend Takeshi Sugihara are killed by bullies, led by Sho Kimura. As Ami tracks down Sho, she discovers that the bullies are associated with a ninja-yakuza family. She goes after the clan for revenge, but they brutally overpower her, cutting off her left arm. Ami escapes and seeks out shelter from Takeshi's parents, Suguru and Miki Sugihara, two kindly garage mechanics who fit her with a multi-barrelled machine gun prosthetic. Ami and Miki (who uses a chainsaw) go after the clan, massacring them one by one. Their victims' families, meanwhile, band together to get revenge of their own.
Eventually, they reach the yakuza's hiding place. As the fight continues, Miki loses her right foot and eventually dies. Ami loses her machine gun doing her fight with Sho's father Ryūgi Kimura, but gets Miki's chainsaw. Finding Sho with hostages to keep Ami at bay, his mother Violet Kimura manages to disarm Ami while attempting to kill her with her drill bra. However, noticing one of the hostages wet himself, Ami takes advantage and trips Violet onto the urine, electrocuting her. She then kills Sho. Feeling she has nothing left to live for, she attempts to commit suicide. At that moment, however, Ami hears noise behind her and turns, sword at the ready.
According to writer and director Iguchi, the idea for The Machine Girl went back to a simple idea he had about a one-armed girl in a bikini looking for revenge. The idea for the machine gun arm came later.
- Minase Yashiro - Ami Hyuga
- Asami - Miki Sugihara
- Yūya Ishikawa - Suguru Sugihara
- Kentarō Shimazu - Ryūgi Kimura
- Honoka - Violet Kimura
- Noriko Kijima - Yoshie
- Ryosuke Kawamura - Yu Hyuga
- Nobuhiro Nishihara - Sho Kimura
- Taro Suwa - Kimura gang member
English dub Version
- Brina Palencia - Ami Hyuga
- Evelyn Lanto - Miki Sugihara
- Kevin Collins - Suguru Sugihara
- Charles Bunting - Ryūgi Kimura
- Stephanie Sheh - Yoshie
- Michael Sinterniklaas - Yu Hyuga
- Christopher Kromer - Sho Kimura
- Drew Aaron - Takeshi Sugihara, Teppei
- Wayne Grayson - Kitamura
- Dan Green - Yusume
- Jason Griffith - Ryota, various
- Bella Hudson- Masako
- Herb Lawrence - Sushi Chef
- Brandon Potter - Kaneko
- Dara Seitzman - Sumire
- Robby Sharpe - Hiroshi
- Christine Shipp - Yumiko, Old Lady
- Tom Wayland - Shinsuke
- David Wills - Suguano
The movie premiered at the Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival in March 2008. It was released theatrically in the United States on May 23, 2008 and on DVD June 3, 2008, and in Japan on August 2, 2008. The Japanese DVD from Nikkatsu came out January 23, 2009 as a 2 disc set including the short Shyness Machine Girl (hajiraiマシンガール Hajirai mashin gāru ). Tokyo Shock, the Media Blaster label which released the original US DVD announced that they were bringing out a two-disc special titled The Machine Girl Remix on August 4, 2009. The set includes the Shyness Machine Girl short, renamed Machine Girlite.
The film's reception has been mixed. It has many times been compared to Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror by critics. It currently holds a 63% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes from eight reviews. It has developed a cult following in America.
- Brown, Todd (February 12, 2008). "When MACHINE GIRL Director Noboru Iguchi Speaks You’d Best Listen Or This Girl Will Smack You Hard!". twitchfilm.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "The Machine Girl". dvdsamling.dk. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "Kataude mashin gâru". IMDb. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "スピンオフ短編『hajiraiマシンガール』詳細！" (in Japanese). www.spopro.net. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "DVD release - The Machine Girl (Nikkatsu) available on 1/23/2009". www.nipponcinema.com. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "DVD release - The Machine Girl Remix (Tokyo Shock) available on 8/4/2009". www.nipponcinema.com. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "The Machine Girl 2007". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- Trailer at YouTube
- The Machine Girl at the Internet Movie Database
- The Machine Girl at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Machine Girl at allmovie
- Internal Bleeding
- Nippon Cinema