The Madison Misnomer
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
|Motto||Vestra Pessima Feceritis|
|Motto in English||Do Your Worst|
|Patron saint||Genesius of Rome|
|Managing editors||Kaden Greenfield|
The Madison Misnomer is a quarterly undergraduate newspaper published at the University of Wisconsin—Madison in Madison, Wisconsin featuring comedy articles, analysis of current affairs and culture, and arts reviews.
The newspaper is printed twice per semester as a tabloid. The front and back pages are generally printed in color while the inside pages are printed in black and white; occasionally, the entire issue is printed in color. Issues vary between eight and twelve pages. The paper differentiates itself from The Onion, which also originated in Madison, by focusing on the university and its student life.
The Madison Misnomer was launched in 2007 by Joshua D. Moss, who published the first issue before winter break. He felt that the university not having a humor publication was an anachronism. Sharing the masthead with Bill Nelson until fall 2009, Moss was the editor-in-chief of the paper until Ethan Krupp assumed the editorship in January 2010. Overlord Eric Wiig succeeded Krupp in September 2012. Wiig announced in November 2012 that the Misnomer would be published online-only for the foreseeable future due to budgetary issues. He returned the Misnomer to print a year later through a partnership with the Badger Herald, one of the UW's two student newspapers, publishing a weekly one-page spread in the Herald, and, in spring 2015, re-commenced independent publication of the Misnomer. This event marked the end a four-year stretch where no physical issue had been published under the Misnomer's masthead. It also served as the capstone of Wiig's editorship. Nicole Lang succeeded Wiig as Editor-in-Chief at the end of the spring 2015 semester.
The newspaper has continually supported one section since its first edition: "Sports, Technology and Thoughts On Abortion", which is always featured as the final section, inside the back cover, with articles on said topics. The paper tailors the remaining sections to each issue: examples of sections include: "Alumnus Issues", "Around Town", "Around the World", "Funny Pages", "Let's Get Sued", "Lifeways", "Men Objectifying Women Page", "Newspaper Page", "Page Sex", "Page Six (Not to Be Confused With Page Sex)", "Exclusives!", "In the Classroom", "Arts & Literature", "Halloween", "'Lost' Badger Herald Editorial Page", "Life Magazine Page", "Election Endorsements", "Food and Local Produce", "Kid's Corner!", "Politics for Dummies", and "We're Going to Hell For You!"
The Misnomer contributes to the work hard, play hard ethos of the University of Wisconsin. The publication organizes events on campus, is active in student government and alumni associations, and collaborates with other student organizations.
Fall 2013: With InterMission Theater, staged a reading of Pledge for Murder!, an original play written by Misnomer staff.
Fall 2011: Produced the Madison Misnomer Radio Hour, a comedy, news, and arts talk show on WSUM. Hosted by Alec Valadez, the hour-long show aired at 1:00 Monday afternoons, and was broadcast live from WSUM's suite at 333 East Campus Mall.
- Cheng, Vincent (March 24, 2010). "Madison Misnomer goes through hoops to equally offend everyone: Satirical newspaper doesn’t hold back when it comes to insulting everything Madison". The Badger Herald. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- The Madison Misnomer. Retrieved 29 April 2014
- "The Madison Misnomer". The Madison Misnomer. [Madison, Wis.: s.n.], 2007-.
- From the Desk of the Editor-in-Chief: Stagnation at the Madison Misnomer. Retrieved 15 May 2015
- Krueger, Katherine (September 3, 2013). "A thorn in their sides since 1969". The Badger Herald. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- A Press Release from The Madison Misnomer. Retrieved 15 May 2015
- University of Wisconsin Department of Psychiatry - Why Join?. Retrieved 6 October 2013
- The Madison Misnomer Easter Egg Hunt. Retrieved 6 October 2013
- Dr. Kat's List: Five Colleges for a Good Laugh. Retrieved 6 October 2013
- Golshan, Tara (September 3, 2014). "From the desk of the editor: The Badger Herald is going viral". The Badger Herald. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Golshan, Tara (December 11, 2014). "From the desk of the editor: Make The Badger Herald your meeting place". The Badger Herald. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Making your week better: Herald to move to weekly publication. Retrieved 15 May 2015
- Thank you!. Retrieved 29 September 2013
- Wisconsin Student Radio Players | WSUM 91.7 Madison Student Radio. Retrieved 29 September 2013
- Staged Reading of the Madison Misnomer Play "Pledge for Murder"!. Retrieved 25 September 2014
- The Madison Misnomer Easter Egg Hunt. Retrieved 21 December 2013
- Madison Misnomer, Titanic Players, Understudies, and 1 Up present the Comedy Bash. Retrieved 11 July 2011
- Comedy Festival with Titanic Players, Madison Misnomer, The Understudies and Manhole. Retrieved 11 July 2013
- Krupp, Ethan (December 16, 2012). UW-Madison Winter Graduation Speech. Madison, Wisconsin: Krupp, Ethan.