The Major (film)
|Directed by||Yuri Bykov|
|Produced by||Alexey Uchitel|
|Written by||Yuri Bykov|
|Distributed by||Rock Studios
The Major (Russian: Майор', translit. Mayor) is a 2013 Russian action film written, directed and starring Yuri Bykov. It was first screened as part of the International Critics' Week at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. It was screened in the Contemporary World Cinema section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
The film tells of the staff of the Russian police, who fall in difficult life situations and use of official position and procedures to get out of them.
Police Major Sergei Sobolev's wife gives birth. Future father rushes to the hospital, but then his car at full speed throws a boy who was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, causes his death. The only witnesses is his mother, Irina Gutorova.
The Major decides to avoid responsibility for a crime and call his colleagues to the incident scene. His colleague Pavel Korshunov quickly eliminate the evidence tat proves the guilt of Sobolev. Despite the fact that the mother of the deceased seven year old boy knows the true culprit of the accident, the Chief of District police forced her to give false testimony in favor of Major Sobolev.
Sobolev suddenly decides to confess everything and to be punished, but other police officers do not like it: After all, covering the major, they cover themselves, covering up the traces of their own abuse, in this modernize but still yet corrupted Police force.
- Denis Shvedov as Major Sergei Sobolev
- Yuri Bykov as Pavel Korshunov, Sobolev's partner
- Ilya Isayev as Tolya Merkulov
- Dmitriy Kulichkov as Gutorov
- Boris Nevzorov as Alexey Pankratov, Chief of Police
- Irina Nizina as Irina Gutorova
- Kirill Polukhin as Kolya Burlakov
- "Cannes Reveals International Critics' Week Lineup; 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints' Makes the Cut". Indiewire. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "The Major". TIFF. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Toronto Adds 75+ Titles To 2013 Edition". Indiewire. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
|This article related to Russian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 2010s action film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|