The Man I Love (song)
|"The Man I Love"|
|Music by||George Gershwin|
|Lyrics by||Ira Gershwin|
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2009)|
"The Man I Love" is a popular standard, with music by George Gershwin and lyrics by his brother Ira. Originally part of the 1924 score for the Gershwin government satire Lady, Be Good as "The Girl I Love", the song was deleted from the show as well as from both the 1927 anti-war satire Strike Up the Band (where it first appeared as "The Man I Love") and 1928 Ziegfeld hit Rosalie after tryouts. It is the basis for the 1947 film The Man I Love starring Ida Lupino and Bruce Bennett and featured prominently throughout.
As with many standards of the era, it has become more famous as an independent popular song than as one from a Broadway musical.
- Tony Bennett & Sheryl Crow
- Kate Bush
- Zebedy Colt
- Rita Coolidge
- Miles Davis, with Thelonious Monk - Miles Davis and The Modern Jazz Giants (1954)
- Vaughn De Leath with Paul Whiteman's Concert Orchestra for Columbia.
- The Devics
- Bill Evans/Bob Brookmeyer on their album The Ivory Hunters
- Judy Garland on a 1944 radio broadcast
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook (1959)
- Marie Fredriksson on the opening show for The Stockholm Globe Arena at February 19th, 1989.
- Helen Forrest
- Valeria Golino and Rachel Sweet sang it in the movie Hot Shots!
- Benny Goodman
- Coleman Hawkins (1943)
- Billie Holiday, with Lester Young (1939)
- Lena Horne
- Etta James - Mystery Lady: Songs of Billie Holiday (1994)
- Stan Kenton - Stan Kenton On AFRS (1944-1945)
- Kathy Kirby
- Frances Langford
- Peggy Lee
- Ivri Lider for the soundtrack of The Bubble
- Patti LuPone on Lady With the Torch
- Liza Minnelli
- Helen Morgan
- Hazel O'Connor
- Anita O'Day - An Evening with Anita O'Day (1956)
- Diana Ross
- Diane Schuur
- Barbra Streisand
- Donna Summer
- Rokia Traore
- Sophie Tucker 1928
- Sarah Vaughan
- Caetano Veloso
- Dinah Washington
- Ben Webster, with the Tete Montoliu Trio - Gentle Ben (1972)
- Lee Adam Wilshier on Lover Man (2008).
- Lester Young (1946)
- Hindi Zahra