The Man Who Quit Smoking
|The Man Who Quit Smoking|
|Directed by||Tage Danielsson|
|Written by||Tage Danielsson|
|Running time||99 minutes|
The Man Who Quit Smoking (Swedish: Mannen som slutade röka) is a 1972 Swedish comedy film directed by Tage Danielsson, starring Gösta Ekman, Grynet Molvig, Carl-Gustaf Lindstedt and Gunn Wållgren. The film is known as "a Hasseåtage-film" and is a great cult classic in Sweden.
The Plot focuses on Dante Alighieri, a young man who loves smoking. When his father dies Dante inherits 17 million kr on one special condition: He must give up smoking in 14 days and then stay smoke-free for an entire year. If he fails, his uncle inherits the 17 million instead. Dante has a living hell while trying to quit, and hires a private detective agency called Little Secret Service who he gives free hands to stop him from smoking, While his uncle, who has taken up smoking himself, also does everything he can to make Dante smoke again.
- Gösta Ekman as Dante Alighieri
- Grynet Molvig as Beatrice Morris
- Toivo Pawlo as Hugo Alighieri
- Holger Löwenadler as Knut-Birger
- Gunn Wållgren as Aunt Gunhild
- Olle Hilding as Sjöström
- Carl-Gustaf Lindstedt as Detective
- Pierre Lindstedt as Detective
- Marianne Stjernqvist as Mrs. Jonsson-Varin
- Jan-Olof Strandberg as Doctor
- Raymond Bussières as The French detective
- Meta Velander as Lady
- Stig Torstensson as Tramp
- Ulf von Zweigbergk as Waiter
- Margaretha Krook as Prostitute
- Jytte Abildstrøm as Lady
- Stig Ossian Ericson as Hypnotist doctor
- Manne Grünberger as Major
- Putte Kock as TV commentator
Tage Danielsson originally came up with the idea for this movie when he himself decided to quit smoking. If he made a movie about the subject he thought it would be to embarrassing if he ever started again. Another inspiration was Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. The main character is named Dante and his loved one is called Beatrice, just as in Dante's Inferno.
- "Mannen som slutade röka (1972)". Swedish Film Institute. 2 March 2014.
- The Man Who Quit Smoking at the Internet Movie Database
- The Man Who Quit Smoking at the Swedish Film Database
|This film article about a 1970s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Swedish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|