The Manson Family (film)
|The Manson Family|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jim Van Bebber|
|Produced by||Carl Daft
Jim Van Bebber
|Written by||Jim Van Bebber|
|Music by||Philip Anselmo
|Editing by||Michael Capone
Jim Van Bebber
|Distributed by||Dinsdale Releasing (Theatrical)
Dark Sky Films
MPI Home Video (DVD)
|Running time||95 minutes
84 minutes (R-rated cut)
The Manson Family is a cross between fictional story and documentary, overseeing the crimes of The Manson Family as led by Charlie Manson. The fictional story centers on a Crime Scene-esque TV series of the same name and its host, Jack Wilson (Carl Day).
- Marcelo Games as Charlie Manson
- Marc Pitman as Tex Watson
- Leslie Orr as Patty Krenwinkel
- Maureen Allisse as Sadie Atkins
- Amy Yates as Leslie Van Houten
- Jim Van Bebber as Bobby
- Tom Burns as Clem Watkins
- Michelle Briggs as Linda Kasabian
- Sherri Rickman as Snake
- Nate Pennington as Shorty
- Carl Day as Jack Wilson
- Corral Day as Franklin Riley
The film had a long and troubled production history. Director Jim Van Bebber personally financed the production starting in 1988, and then continued to shoot it sporadically on weekends and off days.
Despite support from various people, including members of the band Skinny Puppy, who provided a musical score (in the form of Download's Charlie's Family album) that was released separately years before the film itself, the film remained incomplete. It screened on video as a work-in-progress at a number of film festivals during that time.
In 2004, Dark Sky Films stepped in with the funds to finish the film properly, and it has since been released theatrically and on home video.
- An unrated version is available in the United States, running an extra 11 minutes (95 minutes) to the R-rated cut (84 minutes).
- Official website
- The Manson Family at the Internet Movie Database
- The Manson Family at allmovie
- The Manson Family at Box Office Mojo
- The Manson Family at Rotten Tomatoes