The Marriage (TV series)
|Written by||Ernest Kinoy|
|Directed by||Jack Garfein|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||24 mins.|
|Original run||July 1, 1954– August 19, 1954|
The Marriage is an American sitcom that aired on NBC from July to August 1954. The series is noted as the first prime-time network television series to be broadcast regularly in color. Broadcast live by NBC for seven episodes in the summer of 1954, the series stars real-life couple Hume Cronyn (who also produced the show) and Jessica Tandy as a New York lawyer and his wife with two children, played by Susan Strasberg and Malcolm Brodrick.
The television series was adapted from an NBC radio series of the same title, also starring Cronyn and Tandy and written by Kinoy, that ran from October 1953 to February 1954. The television show was directed by Jack Garfein and Marc Daniels.
The New York Times television critic called the show "new and different and delightful," and wrote, "'The Marriage' is a sparkling, crisp portrayal of some charming people." The Washington Post called it among the best of the summertime replacement series, praising its "adult approach to situation comedy," with believable situations and intelligent characters.
The show was suspended after August 19, when Cronyn and Tandy left to tour on stage. There was talk in late 1954 of resuming the series, but it did not happen.
- "News of TV and Radio," New York Times, June 20, 1954, p. X11. The daytime programs The World Is Yours (1951) and Modern Homemakers (1951) were the first network television series broadcast in color. The syndicated Cisco Kid had been filmed in color since 1949 in anticipation of color broadcasting.
- "'The Marriage' Makes Its Television Debut," New York Times, June 27, 1954, p. X13.
- "Tiny Microphone for TV Displayed", New York Times, July 2, 1954, p. 15. The premiere was originally scheduled for July 1, but was cancelled at the last moment due to Jessica Tandy's illness.
- "Director Leaves 'Marriage' Series," New York Times, July 20, 1954, p. 17.
- "Television in Review: 'Marriage'," New York Times, July 19, 1954, p. 25.
- Lawrence Laurent, "It's Not the Heat; It's the Replacements," Washington Post, Aug. 29, 1954, p. T3.
- "'The Marriage' May Be Resumed," New York Times, Dec. 8, 1954, p. 51. "TV Comedy Show Tries Psychology," New York Times, Dec. 14, 1954, p. 50.