The Martyr Mantras
|The Martyr Mantras|
|Studio album by Jesus Loves You|
|Genre||Pop, dance, soul, house, Balearic, acid house, deep house|
|Label||More Protein/Virgin Records|
|Producer||Simon Rogers (track 1 & 11), Mark Brydon (tracks 2 & 3), Angela Dust (tracks 4 & 9), Jon Moss (track 4), John Themis (track 5), Bobby Z & Jeremy Healy (track 6), Bruce Forest (tracks 7 & 10), Zeo (track 8)|
|Jesus Loves You chronology|
The Martyr Mantras is a 1990 album by Boy George. It was credited to Jesus Loves You worldwide, a move to help people concentrate on the music rather than on the popular artist's name, except in North America, where it was credited to Boy George upon its release there in 1991, as requested by Virgin Records America.
The Martyr Mantras contains many dance-oriented tracks, most of them with an edgy electronic production for the early 1990s. It is partly a collection of some of the songs that were released as one-off singles many months before ("No Clause 28" - 1988, "After the Love" - 1989, "Generations of Love" - 1990, "One On One" - 1990). The lead single was the Indian and house mash-up "Bow Down Mister" which reached the Top 30 in the UK Singles Chart.
George's songwriting credits are also on another alias. He is credited as Angela Dust. In this period, George was very involved in dance productions, most of them on his dance label, called "More Protein".
Like many Boy George solo records, The Martyr Mantras was not a strong seller like early Culture Club records, only reaching #60 on the UK Albums Chart. Although it did fare better in European countries but worse on the American market. The album gained very different reviews, some saying it was his finest hour, especially for his soulful vocals. Opposite opinions thought his voice was buried in the production.
It remains a favourite in his fan community. Madonna has cited this album a few times in various interviews, saying that she loved it; and used it for her gymnastic training.
- "Generations Of Love" (Oakenfold Mix) (Angela Dust, Caron Geary & Simon Rogers)
- "One On One"(Brydon L.P. Mix) (Dust, Mark Brydon)
- "Love's Gonna Let U Down" (Popcorn Mix) (Dust, Brydon)
- "After The Love" (Ten Glorious Years Mix) (Dust, Jon Moss)
- "I Specialise In Loneliness" (Dust, John Themis)
- "No Clause 28" (Pascal Gabriel Mix) (Boy George O'Dowd, Glenn Nightingale, Ian Maidman, Richie Stevens, Steve Fletcher)
- "Love Hurts" (L.P. Mix) (Dust, Bruce Forest, Richard Cottle)
- "Siempre Te Amare" (Dust)
- "Too Much Love" (Dust, Brydon)
- "Bow Down Mister" (Dust)
- "Generations Of Love" (Seventies Mix)