The Meaning of the Glorious Koran
The meaning of the Glorious Qur'an (1930) is an explanatory translation of the Qur'an by Marmaduke Pickthall. In 1928, Pickthall took a two-year sabbatical to complete his translation of the meaning of the Qur'an, a work that he considered the summit of his achievement. Pickthall noted the impossibility of perfectly translating the Arabic into English, and he titled his work The Meaning of the Glorious Quran (A. A. Knopf, New York 1930). It was the first translation by a Muslim whose native language was English, and remains among the two most popular translations, the other being the work of Abdullah Yusuf Ali.
- Everyman's Library (1993), ISBN 978-0-679-41736-1
- Amana Publications; 1st ed edition (1996), ISBN 0-915957-22-1
- Tahrike Tarsile Qur'an; 2nd edition (1999), ISBN 978-1-879402-16-4
- The Meaning of the Glorious Qur'an; New Modern English Edition with brief explanatory notes and Index of subjects; 7th Edition (2011), Published by IDCI, available at: www.idci.co.uk
- Qur'an Explorer Online Qur'an software with default set to M.M. Pickthall's translation and audio in English.
- Al-Quran project includes the Qur'an translation, "The Meaning of the Glorious Koran", by Marmaduke Pickthall.
|This article about an Islamic studies book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|