The Meditations were formed in late 1974, when Danny Clarke left The Righteous Flames, recruiting Ansel Cridland (previously of The Linkers) and Winston Watson. After releasing singles credited to the individual members, they began recording as The Meditations in late 1976, shortly after which they released their biggest hit, "Woman Is Like a Shadow", which sold over 45,000 copies in its first month of release. They recorded in the mid-1970s for producers such as Dobby Dobson, Joseph Hoo Kim, and Lee "Scratch" Perry, their righteously Rastafarian style gaining comparisons with The Mighty Diamonds. Their first album, Message From The Meditations, was released in 1977.
The Meditations sang backing vocals on a number of Bob Marley songs, including "Blackman Redemption," "Punky Reggae Party," and "Rastaman Live Up", as well as providing backing for Gregory Isaacs, Jimmy Cliff and The Congos (on their Heart of the Congos album).
They appeared at the One Love Peace Concert in April 1978, officially a commemoration of the 12th anniversary of Haile Selassie's state visit to Jamaica, but more famous for the handshake between Michael Manley and Edward Seaga when they joined Bob Marley on stage.
Cridland left the group, leaving Clarke and Watson to record 1988's For The Good of Man without him, but they were reunited for 1993's Return of The Meditations.
- Message From The Meditations (1977) Wild Flower (JA) / United Artists (US)
- Wake Up (1978) Third World (UK) / Double-D (US/JA)
- Guidance (1979) Tad's/Guidance
- No More Friend (1983) Thompson Sound/Greensleeves
- For The Good of Man (1988) Greensleeves
- Return of The Meditations (1993) Sonic Sounds/Heartbeat
- Ghetto Knowledge (1999) Easy Star
- I Love Jah (2002) Wackies (recorded 1982)
- Stand In Love (2004) 2Good / Meditations Music (US)
- Greatest Hits (1984) Shanachie/Greensleeves
- Deeper Roots: The Best of The Meditations (1994) Heartbeat/Greensleeves
- Reggae Crazy: Anthology 1971-1979 (1997) Nighthawk
- 10 Ft Ganja Plant -album: Bas Chalice -song: To Each (2005) ROIR
- Larkin, Colin (1998). The Virgin Encyclopedia of Reggae. Virgin Books. ISBN 0-7535-0242-9.
- Germa, Romain & Maslowski, Nicolas (2007) Guidance sleeve notes from the Makasound release
- Barrow, Steve; Dalton, Peter (1997). Reggae: The Rough Guide. Rough Guides. ISBN 1-85828-247-0.
- E A S Y S T A R * R E C O R D S
- Thompson, Dave (2002). Reggae & Caribbean Music. Backbeat Books. ISBN 0-87930-655-6.