The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
|The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes|
Cover of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
|Author(s)||Arthur Conan Doyle|
|Genre(s)||Detective fiction short stories|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Pages||viii, 279 pp|
|Preceded by||The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes|
|Followed by||The Hound of the Baskervilles|
The twelve stories (eleven in American editions) of the Memoirs are:
- "Silver Blaze"
- "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" (this story is in His Last Bow in American editions of the canon)
- "The Adventure of the Yellow Face"
- "The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk"
- "The Adventure of the Gloria Scott"
- "The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual"
- "The Adventure of the Reigate Squire"
- "The Adventure of the Crooked Man"
- "The Adventure of the Resident Patient"
- "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter"
- "The Adventure of the Naval Treaty"
- "The Final Problem"
The first London edition of the Memoirs in 1894 did not include "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box", although all twelve stories had appeared in the Strand Magazine. The first U.S. edition did include the story, but it was very quickly replaced with a revised edition that omitted it.
The reasoning behind the suppression is unclear. In Britain the story was apparently removed at Doyle's request as it included adultery and so was unsuitable for younger readers. This may have also been the cause for the rapid removal of the story from the U.S. edition, and some sources[specify] state that the publishers believed the story was too scandalous for the American public.
As a result, this story was not republished in the U.S. until many years later, when it was added to His Last Bow. Even today, most American editions of the canon include it with His Last Bow, while most British editions keep the story in its original place in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.
Additionally, when the story was removed from the Memoirs, its opening pages, where Holmes emulates Dupin, were transferred to the beginning of "The Adventure of the Resident Patient". In some later U.S. editions of the Memoirs, which still omit "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box", this transfer still appears.
- Silver Blaze
- The Cardboard Box
- The Yellow Face
- The Stock-broker's Clerk
- The Gloria Scott
- The Musgrave Ritual
- The Reigate Puzzle
- The Crooked Man
- The Resident Patient
- The Greek Interpreter
- The Naval Treaty
- The Final Problem
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes|
- Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes at Project Gutenberg
- Sherlock Holmes Cases A compilation of some of the most famous Sherlock Holmes cases. Original stories adapted from the Gutenberg project