The Memory of Trees
|The Memory of Trees|
|Studio album by Enya|
|Released||5 December 1995|
|Genre||New Age, celtic, pop|
|Singles from The Memory of Trees|
|Los Angeles Times|||
Enya composed each song on The Memory of Trees; all lyrics are by Roma Ryan. Enya and Nicky Ryan collaborated on the arrangements. The album was recorded, produced, engineered, and mixed by Nicky Ryan at his private recording studio, Aigle Studios. The album's mastering engineer was Arun Chakraverty, who previously remastered The Celts (1992). The executive producer was Rob Dickins.
The cover art derives from the oil painting The Young King of the Black Isles (1906) by Maxfield Parrish, whose also work inspired the aesthetics of some of Enya's music videos.[which?] Elizabeth Emanuel designed Enya's dress for the album's photo shoot. Sooky Choi, the album's graphic designer, also laid out the album art and liner notes of The Celts.
|1.||"The Memory of Trees"||4:18|
|4.||"Athair Ar Neamh"||3:39|
|5.||"From Where I Am"||2:20|
|7.||"Hope Has a Place"||4:44|
|9.||"Once You Had Gold"||3:16|
|11.||"On My Way Home"||5:08|
|12.||"Oriel Window" (Bonus track on WEA Japan release)||2:22|
All lyrics are in English except those of "Pax Deorum" (Latin: "Peace of the Gods"), "Athair Ar Neamh" (Irish: "Heavenly Father"), and "La Soñadora" (Spanish: "The Dreamer"). "From Where I Am" and "Oriel Window" are piano solos; "Tea-House Moon" is an instrumental.
"The Memory of Trees" was used in the score of the American television film Shot Through the Heart (1998); "Once You Had Gold" was used in the score of the American romantic comedy film Knocked Up (2007); and "Pax Deorum" was used in the score of the American documentary film For the Bible Tells Me So (2007) and also as an unreleased track on the 1986 BBC documentary 'The Celts'. On 24 July 2011, Yamagata Broadcasting Company of Japan used "China Roses" in its sign-off on the occasion of its final analogue television broadcast.
Charts and certifications
- The Memory of Trees at AllMusic
- Browne, David (1995-12-08). "The Memory of Trees Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Heckman, Don (1995-12-02). "ALBUM REVIEWS : Musical Spirits Continue to Inspire Enya". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Enya - Memory of Trees CD Album". CD Universe. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Gardner, Elysa (1996-01-25). "Enya: The Memory of Trees : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone: 73. Archived from the original on 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Warner Brazil: Enya Biography
- "Enya - The Memory Of Trees - hitparade.ch". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "Hungarian Albums Chart". Mahasz.hu. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Argentinian album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "Austrian album certifications – Enya – Memory of Trees" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Enya in the field Interpret. Enter Memory of Trees in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Brazilian album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees". Music Canada.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "French album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Enya; 'The Memory of Trees')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Dutch album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "Polish album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees" (in Polish). Polish Producers of Audio and Video (ZPAV).
- "Japanese album certifications – Enya – MEMORY OF TREES" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved May 28 2013.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "British album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees". British Phonographic Industry. Enter The Memory of Trees in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Enya – The Memory of Trees". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 1996". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
Anthology 1 by The Beatles
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
17 December 1995 – 13 January 1996
(What's the Story) Morning Glory?