|Created by||Bruno Heller|
|Directed by||Chris Long
|Opening theme||"Theme from The Mentalist"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||116 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Bruno Heller
|Production company(s)||Primrose Hill Productions
Warner Bros. Television
|Original run||September 23, 2008– present|
The Mentalist is an American police procedural television series that debuted on September 23, 2008, on CBS. The show was created by Bruno Heller, who is also its executive producer. The show follows former "psychic" Patrick Jane (Simon Baker), who is a consultant to the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI), using the highly developed observational skills he previously employed to "read" people's minds. The show's fifth season premiered on September 30, 2012. On March 27, 2013, CBS renewed the series for a sixth season.
The Mentalist follows Patrick Jane, an independent consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI) based in Sacramento, California. Although not an officer of the law, he uses skills from his former career as a successful yet admittedly fraudulent psychic medium to help a team of CBI agents solve various crimes. The ultimate goal of Patrick Jane in his cooperation with the CBI is to track down the killer known as "Red John," who was responsible for the brutal murders of his wife and daughter.
Jane formerly had a lucrative career as a con man, successfully posing as a psychic medium and enjoying near-celebrity status. Five years before the events in the show's pilot episode, he appeared on television to claim that his paranormal abilities helped the police profile a serial killer named Red John. Red John, angered by the perceived slight, murdered Jane's wife and young daughter in revenge.
Jane subsequently abandoned his job as a psychic and teamed with the CBI, using his skills to help them solve various crimes. His main focus is on the cases involving Red John or Red John copycats. He admits to faking the supernatural aspects of his skills, often asserting that "there's no such thing as psychics," yet he has finely honed skills in cold reading, hypnotism, and pickpocketing, as well as powerful observational skill and a deep insight into the human psyche and behavior.
Production and distribution 
The show often sets episodes in fictional locales with names like Salinger Mill and Rancho Rosa. Like the majority of American television shows, The Mentalist is mostly filmed within the studio zone in Los Angeles County, but occasionally films a few scenes on location in Sacramento. The structure used to represent the CBI headquarters in Sacramento is the back of the Pico House in downtown Los Angeles. On October 15, 2008, CBS ordered the first season of The Mentalist and the show has subsequently been renewed annually since 2010 both in the domestic market and overseas.
Cast and characters 
Episode list 
DVD releases 
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Dates|
|Region 1||Region 2 (UK)||Region 4 (AUS)|
|The Complete First Season||23||September 22, 2009||March 8, 2010||September 23, 2009|
|The Complete Second Season||23||September 21, 2010||November 8, 2010||November 10, 2010|
|The Complete Third Season||24||September 20, 2011||October 10, 2011||October 26, 2011|
|The Complete Fourth Season||24||September 18, 2012||October 8, 2012||October 31, 2012|
The pilot episode had an audience of 15.6 million viewers in its first airing, and 7.8 million in a re-airing three days later. The December 2, 2008 episode, "Flame Red", was the highest-rated television show of the week, marking the first time a program in its first season had achieved that distinction since Desperate Housewives four years earlier.
Awards and nominations 
- On January 7, 2009, the show won the award for "Favorite New TV Drama" at the 35th People's Choice Awards.
- Simon Baker received a nomination for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series at the 2009 Emmy Awards.
- The series was nominated for The International TV Dagger at the 2009 Crime Thriller Awards, an awards ceremony presented by the British Crime Writers' Association.
- Simon Baker received a nomination for Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Television Series Drama at the 67th Golden Globe Awards.
- Simon Baker received a nomination for Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series at the 16th Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- On August 21, 2010, The Mentalist was honored with an award for its scientific and critical thinking content, from The IIG during its 10th Anniversary Gala. The award was accepted by Editor Jimm Gadd.
U.S. ratings 
|Season||Episodes||Timeslot (EST)||Original Airing||Rank||Viewers
|Season premiere||Season finale||TV season|
|1||23||Tuesday 9:00 pm||September 23, 2008||May 19, 2009||2008–09||6th||17.52|
|2||23||Thursday 10:00 pm||September 24, 2009||May 20, 2010||2009–10||10th||15.37|
|3||24||September 23, 2010||May 19, 2011||2010–11||9th||15.24|
|4||24||September 22, 2011||May 17, 2012||2011–12||12th||14.57|
|5||22||Sunday 10:00 pm||September 30, 2012||May 5, 2013||2012–13||TBA||TBA|
- Michael Schneider, "CBS sets premieres after debates," Variety June 26, 2008
- Gorman, Bill (March 14, 2012). "CBS Renews 18 Shows: 'The Good Wife,' 'Blue Bloods,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'The Mentalist,' 'Mike & Molly' & Many More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Breaking News – Cbs Gives A Full Season Order To "The Mentalist"". TheFutonCritic.com. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "Fall TV: CBS Announces Premiere Dates". TVGuide.com. Retrieved June 24, 2009.
- "CTV.ca | The Mentalist (HD)". CTV.ca. Retrieved September 7, 2009.
- "CBS Announces 2010–2011 Primetime Schedule".
- McDuffee, Debbie (November 6, 2009). "TNT: The little network with the smart decisions". CliqueClack TV. Retrieved November 6, 2009.
- "The Mentalist DVD news: Announcement for The Mentalist—The Complete 4th Season". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "(UK): The Mentalist Season 4 DVD – Free Delivery". Play.com. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Mentalist, The – The Complete 4th Season". Ezydvd.com.au. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "The Mentalist DVD news: Press Release for The Mentalist-The Complete 1st Season". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "The Mentalist Season 1 [DVD] : Amazon.co.uk: Simon Baker, Robin Tunney, Amanda Righetti, Tim Kang: DVD". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "Mentalist, The – The Complete 1st Season (6 Disc Set)". Ezydvd.com.au. 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "The Mentalist DVD news: Box Art and Release Date for The Mentalist – The Complete 2nd Season". TVShowsOnDVD.com. May 25, 2007. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "Mentalist, The – The Complete 2nd Season (5 Disc Set)". Ezydvd.com.au. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "The Mentalist DVD news: Announcement for The Mentalist – The Complete 3rd Season". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "(UK): The Mentalist Season 3 DVD – Free Delivery". Play.com. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "Mentalist, The – The Complete 3rd Season (5 Disc Set)". Ezydvd.com.au. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Breaking News—CBS WINS PREMIERE TUESDAY WITH ITS LARGEST AUDIENCE ON THE NIGHT SINCE 2001". TheFutonCritic.com. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- Collins, Scott (9 December 2008). "CBS takes weekly ratings as 'Mentalist' soars". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- "People's Choice Awards 2009 Nominees". People's Choice Awards. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "61st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations". Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Allen, Kate (7 September 2009). "Coben, Cole, Atkinson vie for crime awards". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "The 16th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards". Screen Actors Guild. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "IIG website". Iigwest.com. 21 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "SEASON PROGRAM RANKINGS (THROUGH 5/24)". ABCMedianet.com. May 24, 2009. Retrieved April 12, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (16 June 2010). "Final 2009–10 Broadcast Primetime Show Average Viewership". Tvbythenumbers.com. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "2010–11 Season Broadcast Primetime Show Viewership Averages". Tvbythenumbers.com. June 1, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- Gormam, Bill (May 25, 2012). "Complete List Of 2011–12 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'American Idol,' 'NCIS' & 'Dancing With The Stars'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: The Mentalist|
- Official website
- The Mentalist at the Internet Movie Database
- The Mentalist at TV.com
- The Mentalist Cast Full Listings