The Miami Hurricane
|Owner(s)||University of Miami|
|Headquarters||Student Activities Center
Student Media Suite 200
1330 Miller Drive
Coral Gables, Florida 33146
The Miami Hurricane, founded in 1929, is the official student newspaper at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida, in the United States. It is published twice weekly by a staff of mostly undergraduate students. It has won many awards during its history and is an Associated Collegiate Press "Hall of Fame" newspaper.
It has a circulation of 10,000, consisting predominantly of University of Miami students, staff and faculty. The newspaper is supported financially by local advertising and university subsidies. It is distributed free of charge on the University of Miami campus and at several nearby off-campus locations.
The first campus publication, The University News, was published in October 1927. After financial trouble, the paper ceased publication before the end of the year. Many of those original staff members regrouped in 1929 to try again, forming The Miami Hurricane.
- Judy Battista, sports writer, The New York Times.
- Jason Haikara, Co-President at Filmaka, Co-Chair, Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Website Committee, former Senior Vice President, Marketing at Fox Broadcasting Company.
- Michelle Kaufman, sports writer, The Miami Herald.
- Dan Le Batard, sports writer, ESPN The Magazine and The Miami Herald and sports broadcaster, The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz and Dan Le Batard Is Highly Questionable.
- Darwin Porter, travel journalist, The Frommer Guides, and celebrity biographer