The Mistress (2012 film)
Theatrical movie poster
|Directed by||Olivia Lamasan|
|Screenplay by||Vanessa Valdez|
|Edited by||Marya Ignacio|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
|Box office||PHP 262.82 million|
The film was well acclaimed and received mixed to positive reviews both from the critics and fans, and sets a box-office record in the Philippine Cinema. It grosses over PHP 260 Million, becoming the highest grossing non-MMFF film of 2012 and is currently the 9th highest grossing Filipino film of all time. It also won and received six several awards (including the cast and crew) in the 31st Luna Awards and received nominations in 61st FAMAS Awards, Golden Screen Awards, and Star Awards for Movies in 2013 respectively. Due to the film's success, it was screened internationally in selected countries.
Alonzo and Cruz also had their TV series entitled A Beautiful Affair that aired in ABS-CBN last October 29, 2013 and ended in January 18, 2013, is also part of their 10th-year anniversary as love team and the success of The Mistress.
A young woman is torn between the affections of her two lovers. One is a young bachelor who brings passion into her life. The other is a married man who has kept her as his mistress for years.
Architect JD (John Lloyd Cruz) has a chip on his shoulder about his businessman father Rico (Ronaldo Valdez) never really accepting him as his son. Seamstress Sari (Bea Alonzo) struggles to take care of her family. The two meet by chance, and JD aggressively pursues Sari’s affections. Though the two are clearly a good match, there is a problem standing in the way of their bliss: Sari is the mistress of JD’s father. Against his better judgment, JD continues to court Sari even after finding out this difficult fact. He hides his true identity as Rico’s son, and fights to win Sari’s heart.
- John Lloyd Cruz  as Frederico "JD / Eric" Torres Jr.
- Bea Alonzo  as Rosario "Sari" Alfonso
- Ronaldo Valdez  as Frederico "Rico" Torres
- Hilda Koronel as Regina Torres
- Anita Linda as Lola Lina
- Carmi Martin as Marrion Alfonso
- Clarence Delgado as Mamon
- Tony Mabesa as Maestro Emil
- K Brosas as Rosa
- Minnie Aguilar as Olga
- Gabe Mercado as Mr. Zarate
- Nor Domingo as Brian
- Carla Humphries as Carly
- Al Gaitmatan as Arnold
- Marj Lorico as Julie
- Eileen Gonzales as Abby
- Patrick Moreno as Arvin
- Nina Guirnaldo as Guia
- Jessica Rose Ashton as Lexie
- Dustin Guia as Joey
- Karl Ernest Alano as Aljo
- Joel Molina as Alex
The film was first announced by Star Cinema on April 2012 through the longest running flagship newscast in the Philippines, TV Patrol, now dubbed as "TV Patrol 25." The film was directed by Olivia Lamasan and will be a John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo comeback-movie after a two years hiatus. Their on-screen partnership, as in films like One More Chance (2007) and Miss You Like Crazy (2010), resumes in "The Mistress". The film also celebrates their joint 10th Anniversary in show business. Described as an "imperfect love story," the film features a more daring and mature Alonzo and Cruz.
The film was shot on various locations. The Callao Cave in Peñablanca, Cagayan was closed for two days on 8 and 9 June for the shooting of the movie. They also used various locations in the Cagayan province, especially in Tuguegarao City and the Baua Bridge in Gonzaga, Cagayan, while the beach scenes were at the Anguib Beach and "Boracay of the North" in Santa Ana, Cagayan. Release date is 12 September 2012 in theatres nationwide.
|September 14||Guam||Micronesia Mall Theaters only||
|New Zealand||Auditorium Theater and SkyCity Convention centre only||
|September 15||Europe||Nice, France||
|September 21–27||USA||Select Cities and Theaters only||
|September 27||UAE||Select Theaters only||
|September 28||Canada||Edwards Cerritos Stadium||
|Select Cities and Theaters only||
(notes: Please refer to the references links for the exact information for the International Screening of The Mistress)
|Click The City|||
Philbert Ortiz Dy gave the film 3 out of 5 stars. He stated that The Mistress doesn’t do a very good job of exploring what it is to be a mistress. It only depicts a few stolen moments from the adulterous relationship, focusing instead on the budding romance between the two younger characters.[...]The movie isn't as complex as the premise makes it sound. Though it tackles mature subject matter and plays with Oedipal themes, the film is really much more about the love story than it is about the adultery. He also stated that The Mistress can still be quite affecting. Taken away from the larger narrative, the movie is able to build a compelling fantasy that’s far more romantic than one would expect and It still makes a compelling case for itself every now and then.
Phillip Cu-Unjieng of The Philippine Star magazine gave also a positive feedbacks to The Mistress. He states that Star Cinema's The Mistress is a superb acting vehicle for both Bea Alonzo and John Lloyd Cruz, proving that even when tackling more mature roles, their chemistry, after a full decade, remains intact. And The Mistress has it’s texture of the screenplay and the sympathetic depth of the characters that make it such an absorbing film.
In a positive response by Maridol Rañoa-Bismark of Yahoo Philippines, The Mistress may be a serious film, but it can make moviegoers break into smiles with snippets of humor and “It’s a suspension of disbelief that will amaze even the most rabid mistress hater.”
Mark Angelo Ching and Jocelyn Dimaculangan of PEP also gave a positive response to the film, they stated that, "This movie casts a sympathetic look at someone who agrees to be a kept woman in exchange for a huge debt. But far from glorifying the mistress, the film delves into the heartwrenching pain brought about by being caught in this four-sided love affair."
According to Star Cinema's Advertising and Promotions Manager Mico del Rosario, The Mistress raked a whopping PHP 25 Million on its first day, beating the box-office record set by the other Star Cinema produced movie last year and currently the 3rd highest grossing film of all time - The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin starring Vice Ganda which only grossed PHP 23.9 Million on its opening day. On its first week, the film grosses in a range of PHP 120 Million  - PHP 140 Million pesos. It became the fourth 2012 Filipino film to gross over 100 Million Pesos and ranked as the third local movie of 2012 in span of a week. As of September 23, the film grosses PHP 186,729,040, beating the 2012 top grosser, ÜnOfficially Yours, (which stars Angel Locsin and John Lloyd Cruz) that grosses PHP 157,254,200. On its 2nd week of showing, it now holds the #1 spot in the list of top-grossing Filipino film of 2012. As of September 29, 2012 and on its third week, the film grosses over PHP 230 Million, being the third highest grossing Filipino film of all time. As of its third to fourth box-office successor week and October 2, 2012, The film grosses more than PHP 300 Million pesos worldwide (according to Star Cinema), beating with the same genre film No Other Woman (whom stars Anne Curtis, Derek Ramsay, and Cristine Reyes) as the second Filipino highest-grossing films of all time.The Mistress is now the second highest grossing Filipino film of all time and the biggest local box-office hit this year after it remained the top-grossing movie in the Philippines for a second week in a row.
In contrary to the reports by its own distributor, according to Box Office Mojo, the film grossed only PHP 254 Million only in October 7, 2012, still being the third highest grossing film in the Philippines. As of its 5th and final week of run, the film's total gross is PHP 262,790,300 Million Pesos, almost surpassed No Other Woman with a box-office gross of PHP 278,418,883 Million pesos.
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||Source|
|44th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards (2013)||Most Popular Screenwriter||Olivia Lamasan and Vanessa Valdez||Won||
|Box Office King||John Lloyd Cruz||Won|
|Box Office Queen||Bea Alonzo||Won|
|61st FAMAS Awards (2013)||Best Picture||The Mistress||Nominated||
|Best Director||Olivia Lamasan||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Bea Alonzo||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Hilda Koronel||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Ronaldo Valdez||Nominated|
|Best Child Actor||Clarence Delgado||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay||Vanessa Valdez||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Hermann Claravall||Nominated|
|Best Production Design||Shari Marie Terese E. Montiague||Nominated|
|Best Editing||Marya Ignacio||Nominated|
|Best Musical Score||Von de Guzman and Jessie Lasaten||Nominated|
|Best Sound||Aurel Claro Bilbao||Nominated|
|31st Luna Awards (2013)||Best Director||Olivia Lamasan||Won||
|Best Actor||John Lloyd Cruz||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Ronaldo Valdez||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Hilda Koronel||Won|
|Best Screenplay||Vanessa Valdez||Won|
|Best Editing||Marya Ignacio||Won|
|Best Picture||The Mistress||Nominated||
|Best Actress||Bea Alonzo||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Herman Claravall||Nominated|
|Best Music||Von de Guzman and Jessie Lasaten||Nominated|
|Best Sound||Aurel Claro Bilbao||Nominated|
|Golden Screen Awards (2013)||Best Motion Picture (Drama)||The Mistress||Nominated||
|Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Drama)||Bea Alonzo||Nominated|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Drama)||John Lloyd Cruz||Nominated|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Drama, Musical or Comedy)||Hilda Koronel||Nominated|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (Drama, Musical or Comedy)||Ronaldo Valdez||Nominated|
|Best Director||Olivia Lamasan||Nominated|
|Star Awards for Movies (2013)||Movie of the Year||The Mistress||Nominated||
|Movie Director of the Year||Olivia Lamasan||Nominated|
|Movie Actor of the Year||John Lloyd Cruz||Nominated|
|Movie Actress of the Year||Bea Alonzo||Nominated|
|Movie Supporting Actor of the Year||Ronaldo Valdez||Nominated|
|Movie Supporting Actress of the Year||Hilda Koronel||Nominated|
|Child Performer of the Year||Clarence Delgado||Nominated|
|Movie Screenwriter of the Year||Vanessa Valdez||Nominated|
|Movie Cinematographer of the Year||Hermann Claravall||Nominated|
|Movie Production Designer of the Year||Shari Marie Terese E. Montiague||Nominated|
|Movie Editor of the Year||Marya Ignacio||Nominated|
|Movie Musical Scorer of the Year||Von de Guzman and Jessie Lasaten||Nominated|
|Movie Sound Engineer of the Year||Aurel Claro Bilbao||Nominated|
- My Neighbor's Wife
- In the Name of Love
- No Other Woman
- A Secret Affair
- One More Try
- The Bride and the Lover
- When the Love Is Gone
- Trophy Wife
- ""Different Movie Critics about "The Mistress"". Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "'The Mistress (2012 film)'". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo to top-bill Star Cinema’s ‘The Mistress’". Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "Bea and John Lloyd's 'bravest film ever'". Yahoo PH OMG!. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Textured portrayals buoy up latest John Lloyd-Bea starrer". Inquirer Entertainment.net. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "The Mistress Movie starring John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo". Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- THE MISTRESS: FULL TRAILER on YouTube via abscbnonline user 09-27-2012
- "Top Grossing Filipino Films for 2012". Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Philippines Box Office October 3–7, 2012". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "List of highest-grossing films in the Philippines (OT)". ABS-CBN Forums. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "It Takes A Man And A Woman: Top 20 Highest Grossing Pinoy Films of All Time". Philippine News.ph. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Calderon, Ricky. "Luna Awards laud "El Presidente" and "The Mistress"". Philippine Star. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "61st FAMAS Awards (Winners and Nominees)". IMDB. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "10th Golden Screen Film Awards nominees announced". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Nora Aunor and Vilma Santos compete for Best Actress in 29th Star Awards for Movies". PEP.ph. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "'The Mistress' International Screening Schedule Dates and Venue". Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "John Lloyd, Bea in kiss-me, stare-down challenge". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- "John Lloyd, Bea talk about 'A Beautiful Affair'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- "The Mistress" at Click the City.com". Retrieved September 23, 2012.
-  John Lloyd Cruz is The Lover in Star Cinema’s The Mistress
- "Bea Alonzo and Ronaldo Valdez Have Love Scenes in 'The Mistress'". Retrieved September 16, 2012.
-  Bea Alonzo is The Mistress in Star Cinema’s latest Bea-John Lloyd film
- "Bea overwhelmed by success of 'The Mistress'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Hilda Koronel is Back via Star Cinema’s Adult Movie ‘The Mistress’". Retrieved August 26, 2012.
-  Hilda Koronel is The Wife in Star Cinema’s The Mistress
- "THE MISTRESS: HILDA CORONEL TALKS ABOUT THE ROLE SHE COULDN’T SAY NO TO". Balita TFC. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- John Lloyd and Bea talks about upcoming movie ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 08-20-2012
- John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo to top-bill Star Cinema’s ‘The Mistress’ PUSH. Retrieved 08-20-2012
- John Lloyd, Bea thrilled over 'The Mistress' ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 08-20-2012
- Bea, John Lloyd topbill 'The Mistress' Sun Star. Retrieved 08-20-2012
- JL, Bea shooting daring film Tempo. Retrieved 08-20-2012
- The Making of The Mistress on YouTube via abscbnonline user 09-27-2012
- "'The Mistress (2012 film)' (soundtrack)". IMDB. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- ""The Mistress" International Screening Dates and Venues". Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- ""The Mistress" International Screening Dates and Venue revealed!". Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo’s movie The Mistress International Theatrical Screenings Schedule, Venues, Dates". Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "'The Mistress' holds successful screening in Los Angeles, California". Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- "The Mistress (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "The Power of Pretending". Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "The chemistry of tears... and years". Philippine Star. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "A review: A closer look at ‘The Mistress’". Yahoo!. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "PEP REVIEW: Bea Alonzo and John Lloyd Cruz show their aggressive side in The Mistress". PEP. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- ""The Mistress" Gross P25 Million on the First Day". Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "The Mistress- Biggest Blockbuster Movie of the Year". Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "'The Mistress' premiere earns big". Abs-Cbn News. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Philippines Box Office September 12–16, 2012 Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 09-19-2012
- "Zanjoe gave 'Mistress' a standing ovation". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "'The Mistress' earns P140M in first week". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "List of Top Grossing Filipino Films". Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "The Mistress Grosses P186.73 Million in Two Weeks - Box Office Mojo". Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- Philippines Box Office September 19–23, 2012 Box office Mojo. Retrieved 09-27-2012
- "The Mistress Grosses P254.85 Million in 4 Weeks - Box Office Mojo". Retrieved October 20, 2012.
- "'The Mistress' earns P300 million worldwide". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "'The Mistress' now the biggest local hit of 2012". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "The Mistress". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "44th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "'The Mistress (2012 film)' awards and nominations". IMDB. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Full List of Nominees of 29th PMPC Star Awards 2013 for Movies; One More Try, The Mistress, Thy Womb, Bwakaw Emerge As Early Front-Runners!". Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Complete List of 2013 Winners from Philippine Award-Giving Bodies [For 2012 Movies]". Retrieved November 23, 2013.