The Monarch School
The Monarch School is a combined primary and secondary school headquartered in Spring Branch, Houston, Texas. Monarch serves children with neurological disorders and learning disabilities, including Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, dyslexia, pervasive developmental disorder, Asperger syndrome, autism, Tourette's syndrome, and epilepsy.
Monarch opened in September 1998 with twenty-three students. Monarch now serves grades kindergarten through 12th grade. Young adults are also served through the Monarch post-graduate program and through a community-based, school-sponsored supportive living program.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2015)|
In 1997 the school was founded and opened for classes in the northern hemisphere fall of 1998. In 2001 the school opened its Challenger Campus.
The campus is located at 2815 Rosefield Drive in Spring Branch. All staff, faculty and students are housed in the Chrysalis building, which was completed in 2009. Previously the main campus of The Monarch School was on grounds owned by the Houston Mennonite Church, within the city of Hilshire Village; Monarch has no affiliation with the church. The original Hilshire Village Campus was called the Apprentice Campus. The Craig and Lee Williams Challenger Campus was located five blocks south of the Apprentice campus.
The school is currently involved in a major capital campaign program as it prepares for Phase 2 and 3 of the building project. These phases consist of two additional buildings that are to be named the Butterfly Building and the Monarch Center, and will complete The Monarch School's permanent home.
Both program sites of The Monarch School have a Monarch Diagnostic Clinic, established in 2004. The clinics were established to provide services to students of the school and to the community at large. Services include:
- psychological, diagnostic, and educational assessments
- DIR© (Developmental, Individual-Difference, Relationship-Based) therapy services
- speech/language evaluations
- consultation, including training of faculty from other schools.
The Monarch School requires its students to wear school uniforms. Currently the uniform is a white or dark green shirt with the Monarch symbol over the left breast, and beige pants or shorts.
- "Spring Branch Schools" (Archive). Spring Branch Management District. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "History" (Archive). The Monarch School. April 6, 2005. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Zoning Map" (Archive). City of Hilshire Village. Retrieved on May 13, 2014. "Monarch School- 1231 Wirt"
- "Our Two Campuses" (Archive). The Monarch School. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.