The Monster That Challenged the World
|The Monster That Challenged the World|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Arnold Laven|
|Produced by||Arthur Gardner
Jules V. Levy
|Screenplay by||Pat Fielder|
|Story by||David Duncan|
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld|
|Cinematography||John D. Faure|
|Editing by||Lester White|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release dates||June 1957|
|Running time||83 minutes|
The Monster That Challenged the World is a 1957 science-fiction monster movie, about an army of giant mollusks that emerge from the Salton Sea, California. Directed by Arnold Laven, the film starred Tim Holt and Audrey Dalton.
It was produced by Gramercy Pictures (not related to the former PolyGram division) and released by United Artists. The film is currently available on DVD as part of UA sister Metro-Goldwyn Mayer's Midnight Movies collection.
In the Salton Sea, an undersea earthquake occurs and causes a crevice. From the crevice something crawls out, which is revealed to be a giant prehistoric mollusk.
Gail MacKenzie, one of the surviving crew members, reports to Sheriff Josh Peters, but he is skeptical. Connie Blake and her brother George Black are then attacked in the Salton Sea and die, drained of their blood and water.
Everyone finally believes MacKenzie's story, and the military calls on two paleontologists, Dr. Jess Rogers and Dr. Tad Johns, to help. Rogers identifies the giant mollusk as a "gornaxis", a giant ancestor of modern mollusks. The military begin to prepare but find the gornaxis is attacking Imperial Valley.
Divers locate the group of mollusks in the canal system, and use explosives to destroy them. However, an egg they had previously brought back to the military base hatches, and Twill is forced to fight for his life.
- Tim Holt as Lt. Cmdr. John "Twill" Twillinger
- Audrey Dalton as Gail MacKenzie
- Hans Conried as Dr. Jess Rogers
- Harlan Warde as Lt. Robert "Clem" Clemens
- Max Showalter as Dr. Tad Johns
- Mimi Gibson as Sandy MacKenzie
- Gordon Jones as Sheriff Josh Peters
- Marjorie Stapp as Connie Blake
- Dennis McCarthy as George Blake
- Barbara Darrow as Jody Simms
- Robert Beneveds as Seaman Morty Beatty
- Charles Herbert as Boy with Morty's Cap
- The Monster that Challenged the World at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Monster that Challenged the World at the Internet Movie Database
- The Monster that Challenged the World at the TCM Movie Database
- Monster That Challenged the World soundtrack album released by Monstrous Movie Music (only two tracks)
- Monster That Challenged the World film trailer at YouTube
- Monster That Challenged the World complete film at YouTube (public domain)