The Monsters in the Morning
|Home station||WTKS-FM Real Radio|
|Starring||Russ (Triple R) Rollins,
SBK, Tuddle, Angel
|Recording studio||Orlando, Florida|
The Monsters in the Morning is a morning talk radio show that is broadcast on WTKS-FM Real Radio in Orlando, Florida and simulcast on the iHeartRadio mobile app. The show's current staff consists of Russ (Triple R) Rollins, Dirty Jim, SBK, Tuddle and Angel. Notable former members include Jeff Howell, Bubba "Whoop Ass" Wilson, "The Sexy Savannah", "Black Bean", Daniel Dennis (Double D), Tom Vann (Drunky the Bear), and Bo "The Big Man" Rhodes. The Monsters in the Morning's' format features a mix of current events, comedy, and stunts. Guests include comedians visiting the local Improv comedy club, local celebrities, and sometimes national celebrities. Stunts have involved skywriting, hanging a Monsters banner on a local eyesore, getting married, and blowing oneself up with firecrackers.
The show was renamed several times before receiving the final title of The Monsters in the Morning. It was first named Party Talk w/ Russ & Bo, The Russ & Bo Show with Dirty Jim, and later The Monsters of the Midday. In 2004 The Monsters in the Morning was placed on XM Satellite radio. Attempts were made to simulcast the show in several other Florida markets but were unsuccessful. It was eventually canceled in all other radio markets, bringing them back to local radio status. WXTB in Tampa Bay ended simulcasts of the show in favor of local programming. On December 20, 2013, Drunky The Bear announced he was leaving the show.
Following the sale of Clear Channel's stake in Sirius XM Radio, the show ended its simulcast over XM Satellite Radio on October 18, 2013. The Monsters in the Morning most recently aired on Extreme Talk (XM channel 243), a channel now only available online via iHeartRadio.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- The Triple-R Segment @ 7 - Each morning at 7AM, Russ Rollins holds a short discussion on his topic of choice where daily prizes are awarded for the caller whose answer is best according to the other show members. This is where Russ reads and discusses loads of old trivia questions that he finds out of children's quiz books.
- The 6 things you just knew we'd talk about - A Monday morning bit in which callers try to guess the six big things that happened over the weekend that Russ deemed "segment worthy." The winner get something of their choice from Drunky's prize cave. This is a lazy way of having the listeners of the show do all of the work on a Monday morning.
- Kramer Makes the Call - A weekly segment on Wednesdays with Attorney Steven Kramer, from the Kramer Law Firm. Two callers with a legal dispute, usually a divorce or family law related issue, call into the show and each present their case. After each side presents their case, Steven Kramer will make the "call" and tell the callers what a judge would potentially do in their case. As a benefit of participating in the segment, the callers receive a free mediation to attempt to work out their issues.
- Tell The Truth - Friday segment where listeners can submit questions to the show members that they would normally not talk about on the show. Show members then vote on the question that they think is the most entertaining and the listener who asked the question is awarded with both a prize from the prize cave and the "truthful" answer to their question.
- You Be The Lawyer - A segment where Dirty Jim takes a question from a listener that pertains to a certain legal problem for which the answer is complicated. Show members guess as to the proper legal approach to the problem and an attorney from Jacobs & Goodman ("Sweet Lou" Bouchard or "Best Beard in the Business" Glenn Klausman) speaks about the real legal approach to the situation.
Current cast members
- Russ "RRR" Rollins - Russ Ray Rollins
- Dirty Jim - Jim Colbert
- SBK - "Soul Brother Kevin"
- Tuddle - Patrick Fowler
- Angel - Angel Rivera
Former Monster Cast
- Drunky The Bear - Thomas C. Vann
- Bubba "Whoop-Ass" Wilson - Donald Burton Wilson Jr.
- D Rolle
- Bo "The Big Man" Rhodes
- Jeff "Big Red Dog" Howell
- The Sexy Savannah - Heather K. Boan
- Black Bean - Carlos Navarro
- Tiffany Martin
- Daniel Dennis
- Bancroft, Collette (Jul 20, 2004). "Monsters Tone Down Meanness". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "WXTB Cuts "Monsters" Morning Show". FMQB. January 3, 2005.
- Venta, Lance (August 2, 2013). "Clear Channel Sells SiriusXM Stake; Stations To Leave Service". RadioInsight.com. Radio Insight. Retrieved January 3, 2014. "With the sale all but two of the Clear Channel programmed stations will depart the XM service... Departing are... Extreme Talk (home of Todd Schnitt, Artie Lange and WTKS Orlando programming)..."
- Venta, Lance (October 15, 2013). "SiriusXM Adjusting Lineup: Z100/KIIS-FM Come To Sirius". RadioInsight.com. Radio Insight. Retrieved January 3, 2014. "SiriusXM will make some adjustments to its channel lineup on Friday, October 18."
- "Monsters Biography". Cflradio.net. 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Sullivan, Erin. "Happytown: Shakeup at Real Radio 104.1 FM". Orlando Weekly. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Scott Maxwell. "Scott Maxwell: Taking Names Blog - OrlandoSentinel.com". Blogs.orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Maxwell, Scott (Jun 8, 2006). "Not married -- but still a great pair". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Busdeker, Jon (November 27, 2012). "Real Radio's Daniel Dennis leaves Monsters in the Morning show amid contract disagreement". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 12 August 2013.