The Monsters in the Morning
|Home station||WTKS-FM Real Radio|
|Starring||Russ (Triple R) Rollins,
Dirty Jim, Angel
|Recording studio||Orlando, Florida|
The Monsters in the Morning is a morning talk radio show that is broadcast on WTKS-FM Real Radio in Orlando, Florida and simulcast on the iHeartRadio mobile app. The show's current staff consists of Russ (Triple R) Rollins, Dirty Jim, Carlos, and Angel. The Monsters in the Morning's' format features a mix of current events, comedy, and stunts. Guests include comedians visiting the local Improv comedy club, local celebrities, and sometimes national celebrities. Stunts have involved skywriting, hanging a Monsters banner on a local eyesore, getting married, and blowing oneself up with firecrackers.
The show was renamed several times before receiving the final title of The Monsters in the Morning. It was first named Party Talk w/ Russ & Bo, The Russ & Bo Show with Dirty Jim, and later The Monsters of the Midday. In 2004 The Monsters in the Morning was placed on XM Satellite radio. Attempts were made to simulcast the show in several other Florida markets but were unsuccessful. It was eventually canceled in all other radio markets, bringing them back to local radio status. WXTB in Tampa Bay ended simulcasts of the show in favor of local programming. On December 20, 2013, Drunky The Bear announced he was leaving the show.
Following the sale of Clear Channel's stake in Sirius XM Radio, the show ended its simulcast over XM Satellite Radio on October 18, 2013. The Monsters in the Morning most recently aired on Extreme Talk (XM channel 243), a channel now only available online via iHeartRadio.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- The Triple-R Segment @ 7 - Each morning at 7AM, Rollins conducts a short discussion on a topic of his choice. Rollins reads and discusses trivia questions that he finds in children's quiz books. Prizes are awarded daily for the caller whose answer is best according to the other show members.
- The 6 things you just knew we'd talk about - Aired Monday. Callers try to guess the six big things that happened over the weekend that Rollins deemed "segment worthy." The winner selects their prize from Angel's Prize Piñata.
- Kramer Makes the Call - A weekly segment on Wednesdays with Attorney Steven Kramer. Two callers with a legal dispute, usually a divorce or family law related issue, each present their case by phone. Then Kramer tells the callers what a judge might do in their case. The callers receive a free mediation session.
- Tell The Truth - Aired Friday. Listeners submit questions to the show members that they would normally not be discussed. Show members then vote on the question that they think is the most entertaining. The winning submitter is awarded with both a prize from the prize cave and the "truthful" answer to their question.
- You Be The Lawyer - A segment where Dirty Jim takes a question from a listener that pertains to a certain legal problem for which the answer is complicated. Show members guess as to the proper legal approach to the problem. An attorney from Jacobs & Goodman ("Sweet Lou" Bouchard or "Best Beard in the Business" Glenn Klausman) addresses the real legal approach to the situation.
- Bancroft, Collette (Jul 20, 2004). "Monsters Tone Down Meanness". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "WXTB Cuts "Monsters" Morning Show". FMQB. January 3, 2005.
- Venta, Lance (August 2, 2013). "Clear Channel Sells SiriusXM Stake; Stations To Leave Service". RadioInsight.com. Radio Insight. Retrieved January 3, 2014. "With the sale all but two of the Clear Channel programmed stations will depart the XM service... Departing are... Extreme Talk (home of Todd Schnitt, Artie Lange and WTKS Orlando programming)..."
- Venta, Lance (October 15, 2013). "SiriusXM Adjusting Lineup: Z100/KIIS-FM Come To Sirius". RadioInsight.com. Radio Insight. Retrieved January 3, 2014. "SiriusXM will make some adjustments to its channel lineup on Friday, October 18."
- "Monsters Biography". Cflradio.net. 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2013-07-29.