Morgan Stanley Building
|The Morgan Stanley Building|
|Location||1585 Broadway, between 47th and 48th Streets|
|Current tenants||Morgan Stanley|
|Roof||685 ft (209 m)|
|Floor area||1.3 million square feet (121,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Emery Roth & Sons, Gwathmey, Siegel & Associates|
|Structural engineer||WSP Cantor Seinuk|
|Main contractor||Starrett Brothers and Eken|
Even before 1585 Broadway began to rise over Duffy Square, its developer, David S. Solomon, had signed law firm Proskauer Rose to a 20-year lease for 365,000 square feet (33,900 square meters). A notable achievement at any time, the deal was a milestone in a market where a growing number of new buildings were competing heavily for a shrinking number of tenants.
In December 1991, the original developer, 1585 Broadway Associates, controlled by Solomon, filed for bankruptcy, leaving unfinished building construction, stalled leasing, and strained tenant relationships.
A consortium of banks then gained control of the asset through the bankruptcy process and hired Hines Interests Limited Partnership to manage the property.
The building is featured in the movie Down to Earth as the skyscraper from which a failing businessman jumps to his death.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent also uses it at the beginning of the opening theme post season 7. Law & Order: Trial By Jury also used it before its cancellation. The building was featured in Beck's music video for his 1996 single" Devil's Haircut" in which he is dancing on the screen while tax market prices go by.
- Dunlap, David W. (1992-01-19). "1585 Broadway; Tracing the Path From Leasing Coup to Bankruptcy". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- Morgan Stanley World Headquarters - SkyscraperPage.com
- Morgan Stanley Building at Emporis
- Mcdowell, Edwin (2000-08-23). "Commercial Real Estate; Law Firm Is No Longer Lonely in Refurbished Tower on Times Square". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- "Morgan Stanley in United States". Morgan Stanley Website. Retrieved 2007-12-19.
Media related to Morgan Stanley Building at Wikimedia Commons