The Morning After Girls
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (May 2009)|
|The Morning After Girls|
|Associated acts||The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
Martin B. Sleeman
|Past members||Anton Jakovljevic
Scott Von Ryper
Lucia Di Mauro
Dr Karl Bartl
The Morning After Girls are an Australian neo-psychedelia band. The group was originally formed in Melbourne, Victoria around 2003 by founding members Sacha Lucashenko (vocals and guitar) and Martin B. Sleeman (vocals and guitar), who temporarily relocated the group to New York City in 2008. Its American lineup includes Alexander White (keyboards, percussion, backing vocals), EJ Hagen (bass guitar), and Anthony Johnson (drums). They have since returned to Australia and are now based in Melbourne to complete their third album in 2012.
The group has released two EPs, the first on Rubber Records in 2003 and the second on Fly Music in early 2005, both of which are self-titled. On 20 September 2005, the band released its two EPs as one CD in North America entitled The Morning After Girls: Prelude EPs 1 & 2. This album was also released as Shadows Evolve on 17 November 2005 in Australia and 16 June 2005 in the UK. Mark Gardener of Ride contributed vocals to the track "Fall Before Waking".
The band has toured with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Dandy Warhols, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Keys, and The Warlocks. Festival appearances have included slots at the Reading Festival, Leeds Festival, T in the Park, and Oxegen Festival—2006, Homebake in 2003, 2004, and 2005, and Clean Air, Clear Stars in 2009.
After taking time to record a new album in Australia with engineer and producer Robbie Rowlands they headed to London for final mixing with producer Alan Moulder. The band released "The General Public" maxi single exclusively through iTunes worldwide (except Australia and New Zealand). The full-length album Alone followed on 7 July 2009 (digital only through iTunes in North America). Tee Pee Records released a limited edition white vinyl 7" including the songs "The General Public" and "Who Is They". Following this, the band toured the US in the summer of 2009 with The Warlocks.
The band contributed the song "Death Processions" to Tony Hawk Ride, which was released in November 2009 for XBox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii. In 2009, Alone appeared on 90210, and in 2010 "To Be Your Loss" appeared in The Vampire Diaries, both on the CW network.
- The Morning After Girls: Prelude EPs 1 & 2 (Rainbow Quartz – US only, September 2005)
- Shadows Evolve (Fly Music – Australia only; Best Before Records – UK only, CD & LP, November 2005)
- Alone. (Xemu Records – Worldwide, CD & LP, 2011)
- The Morning After Girls EP 1 (Rubber Records – Australia only, November 2003)
- The Morning After Girls EP 2 (Fly Music – Australia only, January 2005)
- The General Public (Self Released, iTunes only May 2009)
- "Hi-Skies" (Best Before Records, 3 CD versions & 7”, 2005)
- "Run For Our Lives" (Best Before Records, CD & 7” June 2006)
- "Shadows Evolve" (Best Before Records, 7”, November 2006)
- "Straight Thru You" (Distant Noise Records, November 2008)
- "The General Public" (Tee Pee Records, 7”, July 2009)
- Triple J: Home And Hosed - The First Harvest (ABC Music, 2003) — contributed Straight Thru You
- South By Southwest 2005 - Welcome To MTV2 Country (Music Week, 2005) — contributed Run For Our Lives
- Homebake 2005 (Promo for Homebake, 2005) — contributed Run For Our Lives
- NY2LON (Best Before & Filter US Recordings, 2006) — contributed Hi-Skies
- NME Presents The Best New Bands From Reading And Leeds Festivals (New Music Express, 2006) — contributed "Always Mine"
- ASCAP/SHOUT! Vol 3 (ASCAP, 2006) — contributed "Run For Our Lives"
- He Put the Bomp! In the Bomp (Bomp Records, 2007) — contributed "The Trip"
- Rainbow Quartz 2009 Label Sampler — "Run for Our Lives"
- iTunes Indie Spotlight (2009, digital only)
- Word magazine (UK) Now Hear This! sampler (April 2011) — contributed "Alone"
- Destroy All Humans! 2 (Lakeshore Records, 2006) — contributed "Straight Thru You"
- Tony Hawk Ride (Activision, 2009) — contributed "Death Processions"
- 90210 (CW, 2009) — contributed "Alone"
- The Vampire Diaries (CW, 2010) — contributed "To Be Your Loss"
- "SFburning / The Morning After Girls". Sfburning.com. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- at 1:40 PM (17 June 2009). "The Warlocks & the Morning After Girls - 2009 Tour Dates". Brooklynvegan.com. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Xemu Records Signs Spindrift and The Morning After Girls". hangout.altsounds.com. 22 October 2010. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "Complete songlist for Under Control (EP18) | Vampire-Diaries.net | A Fansite for the Vampire Diaries". Vampire-Diaries.net. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2010.