The Mosaic Company
|Traded as||NYSE: MOS
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Plymouth, Minnesota, United States|
|Key people||James T. Prokopanko (President and CEO)|
|Products||Phosphate, Potash, Feed, K-Mag, Pegasus, MicroEssentials|
|Revenue||$ 11.1 billion (FY 2012)|
|Operating income||$ 2.6 billion (FY 2012)|
|Net income||$ 1.9 billion (FY 2012)|
|Total assets||$ 6.6 billion (FY 2012)|
|Total equity||$ 12.0 billion (FY 2012)|
|Employees||~8000 (May 31, 2012)|
The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) is a Fortune 500 company based in Plymouth, Minnesota, a Minneapolis suburb. Mosaic mines two key crop nutrients—phosphate and potash—and produces specialty products MicroEssentials, K-Mag and Pegasus. It is the largest U.S. producer of potash and phosphate fertilizer.
The Mosaic Company is a combined producer and marketer of concentrated phosphate and potash. Its customer base includes wholesalers, retail dealers and individual growers in more than 40 countries. Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, Mosaic employs approximately 8,000 people in eight countries.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors: Robert L. Lumpkins
- Chief Executive Officer and President: James T. Prokopanko
- Majority shareholder: Whitney MacMillan
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Mosaic has 9.3 million tonnes of operational capacity (excluding a tolling agreement). Following completion of several expansion projects, Mosaic expects to have an annual operational capacity of approximately 15 million tonnes by 2021. Mosaic operates five potash mines.
Product from its Canadian mines is exported through Canpotex, an export association of Canadian potash producers.
Potash mines are located in:
- Carlsbad, New Mexico ( )
- Belle Plaine, Saskatchewan ( )
- Colonsay, Saskatchewan ( )
- Esterhazy, Saskatchewan ( and )
Mosaic is the largest producer of finished phosphate products with an annual capacity greater than the next two largest producers combined. It has a global distribution network made up of plants, port facilities, warehouses and sales offices.
Approximately one-third of the company's phosphate product is shipped within North America, with the remainder exported globally through both PhosChem, an export association, and through its own distribution channel.
Phosphate mines are located in:
- May: Mosaic and Cargill complete the transaction to split off and distribute Cargill's stake in Mosaic.
- January: Mosaic and Cargill agree to split off and orderly distribute Cargill's stake in Mosaic.
- January: Jim Prokopanko succeeds Fritz Corrigan as President and CEO of Mosaic.
- July: Jim Prokopanko named Mosaic Chief Operating Officer.
- October: The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) begins trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
- June: Mosaic announced as the chosen name for the newly formed company.
- January: The crop nutrition business of Cargill, Inc. and IMC Global enter into a definitive agreement to form a new crop nutrition company.
On 5 November 2013 Mosaic Co reported sharply lower third-quarter earnings – a fall by 70% due to fall in prices of its potash and phosphate.
- Mosaic corporate leadership
- "Mosaic Company 2011 Annual Report, Form 10-K, Filing Date July 31, 2012". secdatabase.com. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Bloomberg, Mosaic Says Fertilizer Prices to Remain ‘Challenging’ Into 2014, 5 November 2013
- Forbes 2008: Whitney MacMillan
- "Global Presence Map". Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "A new, old name". The Leader-Post. 2006-06-23. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Mosaic Company Form 8-K12B, Filing May 25, 2011". secdatabase.com. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Cargill to Split Off 64% Stake in Mosaic to Holders". Bloomberg. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Mosaic Company Form 8-K, Filing October 3, 2006". secdatabase.com. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Mosaic Company Form 8-K, Filing July 12, 2006". secdatabase.com. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "The Mosaic Company Launches Today as Newest Fortune 500-sized, NYSE-listed firm". October 25, 2004. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Cargill and IMC Global to Combine Fertilizer Units". The New York Times. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Reuters, Mosaic profit plunges 70 pct on weaker prices, sales, 5 November 2013