The Moscow Times
|Owner(s)||Independent Media Sanoma Magazines|
The Moscow Times is an English-language daily newspaper published in Moscow, Russia since 1992. The paper's circulation in 2008 stood at 35,000 copies  and the newspaper is typically given out for free at places English-language "expats" attend, including hotels, cafés and restaurants, as well as by subscription, though it is being increasingly read by English-speaking Russians. It is not available at newsstands.
The Editor-in-Chief is Andrew McChesney, who was promoted to the position in June 2006 after serving in a number of capacities in the newspaper.
The first edition of the paper was published on October 2, 1992, with the paper founded by Dutch entrepreneur Derk Sauer. The paper began as a twice weekly publication, before becoming a daily newspaper after a few months. Until 2000, it was based in the old headquarters of Pravda, and it was the first Western daily to be published in Russia. In 1997, the website www.moscowtimes.ru was registered.
In 2003-2004, the Jobs & Careers and Real Estate appendixes were added to the publication. 2005 saw the addition of the glamorous Moscow Guide appendix, giving cultural and restaurant information, and the launch of an annual restaurant project called Moscow Dining Guide. Until 2005, the paper was owned by Independent Media, a Moscow-registered publishing house that also prints a Russian-language daily newspaper, Vedomosti, The St. Petersburg Times (the equivalent of The Moscow Times in Saint Petersburg) and Russian-language versions of popular glossy magazines such as FHM, Men's Health and Cosmopolitan. That year, Independent Media was acquired by the Finnish publishing group Sanoma.
In 2006, the paper began its alliance with the International Herald Tribune, while 2009 saw the launch of www.themoscowtimes.com. In 2010, the first color issue came out, with sections on Travel, Bar Guide and Lifstyle. In 2012, the paper celebrated its 20th anniversary with a special Gala Dinner at the Hotel Baltschug Kempinsky Moscow.
The newspaper regularly publishes articles by prominent Russian journalists, many of whom take critical positions towards the current Russian government in general.
In 2009, The Moscow Times published Russia for Beginners: A Foreigners Guide to Russia, a guide for foreigners written by foreign authors who have lived in Russia, and offers their experiences in Russia.
The Moscow Times highlights politics events that happen inside the country and abroad, business and culture news five days a week.
- News – interpretation of the latest news and events (Russia and CIS)
- Business & Finance – coverage of news from the business world
- Stocks – news of the financial and stock markets
- Opinion – opinion-based articles on actual topics
- Real Estate – real estate market (thematic section every Tuesday)
- Job Opportunities – vacancies and education (every Wednesday and Friday)
- Classifieds – private advertisements
- Miniguide – referential information
- Entertainment – main events of the day, bulletin board of a foreign community of Moscow
- Context – leisure and entertainment
- What's On – calendar of culture events: cinema, theatre, exhibitions, ballet, opera (weekly column on Thursday)
Separate publications and special projects
- International Herald Tribune – international news every day
- Inter-country annexes The Moscow Times – Russia-France, Russia-Finland, Russia-UK, etc. These editions are dedicated to bilateral issues of cooperation and promote establishing of business and investment programs of interaction between 2 countries. Main focus of these editions is discussion of the economic and trade-investment issues, inter-culture project, tourism issues.
- Real Estate Catalog and Real Estate Quarterly – regular specialized business editions about real estate market
- The Moscow Times Guide – Russia for Beginners, Russia for the Advanced, Dining Guide, Travel Guide, Bar Guide glamorous edition, seasonal style guide, fashionable trends, secular and culture events of the capital.
- Conferences: The Moscow Times – meeting place of Russian and foreign investors, businessmen and experts in Russia and abroad as well.
- "About the newspaper" (PDF). English Media Kit. The Moscow Times. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Richardson, Dan. (2001). The Rough Guide to Moscow. Rough Guides. p. 56. ISBN 978-1-85828-700-3
- Charlton, Angela. (2007). Frommer's Moscow & St. Petersburg. John Wiley and Sons. p. 63. ISBN 978-0-7645-8899-0
- Derk Sauer (2012). "Derk Sauer: "20 Years Later"". Moscow Times. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Lawton, Anna. (2004). Imaging Russia 2000: Film and Facts. New Academia Publishing, LLC. p. 107. ISBN 978-0-9744934-3-5.
- "Russia for Beginners: A Foreigner's Guide to Russia". The Moscow Times. March 3, 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-03-09.
- Michielsen, Dido: Moscow Times. Het Russische avontuur van Derk Sauer en Ellen Verbeek. Amsterdam, Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam, 2013. ISBN 9789046814727 (Dutch language)