The Muppets at Walt Disney World
|The Muppets at Walt Disney World|
|Written by||Jerry Juhl|
|Directed by||Peter Harris|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Jim Henson|
|Producer(s)||Martin G. Baker
|Location(s)||Walt Disney World Resort|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Jim Henson Television
Walt Disney Television
|Distributor||Buena Vista Television|
|Original airing||May 6, 1990|
The Muppets at Walt Disney World is a television special starring Jim Henson's Muppets at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. This was the last Muppets special that Jim Henson worked on before his death on May 16, 1990. The special aired on NBC as part of The Magical World of Disney on May 6, 1990.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2012)|
In the television special, the Muppets are visiting Kermit's family for their annual reunion where they meet up with Kermit's aunts and uncles consisting of Harry, Mary, Larry, Terri, Gary, Perry, and Lou. When the others learn that the swamp is right next to Walt Disney World, they sneak in, and are pursued by a security guard named Quentin Fitzwaller (played by Charles Grodin). Attractions and areas featured include Big Thunder Mountain, the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!, Star Tours, the Mad Tea Party, World Showcase, the Walt Disney World Monorail System and the utilidors. The special is notable for making the three parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios) seem like one connected area, despite the parks actually being apart from each other.
The story ends with the Muppets having a friendly meeting at Mickey Mouse's office where the signature characters of Walt Disney and Jim Henson compare their companies' theme songs, "When You Wish Upon a Star" and "Rainbow Connection" (sung by a young Raven-Symoné to cheer up Kermit) respectively and the ideals behind them.
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Teeth, Link Hogthrob, the Swedish Chef, Waldorf
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal
- Jerry Nelson as Robin the Frog, Camilla the Chicken, Floyd Pepper, Emily Bear, Frog
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Janice, Beaker, Statler, Frog
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Beauregard, Zoot, Frog
- Steve Whitmire as Rizzo the Rat, Bean Bunny, Lips, Frog
- Kevin Clash as Clifford, Alligator, Frog
- Camille Bonora as Frog
- David Rudman as Frog
Additional Muppets performed by Rickey Boyd and Rick Lyon
- To promote this special, Jim Henson appeared on The Arsenio Hall Show with Kermit the Frog. Jim was joined by Kevin Clash, performing Clifford. It would be Henson's last live television appearance, and the last known time he performed Kermit the Frog.
- This was the last Muppet special Jim Henson worked on, as well as the last time he performed Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Teeth, Link Hogthrob, The Swedish Chef, and Waldorf. The special aired ten days prior to his death on May 16.
- During the song "Rockin' All Around the World", Muppets inspired by the Audio-Animatronic children characters from the "It's a Small World" attraction appear.
- The Muppets at Walt Disney World on Muppet Wiki, an external wiki
- The Muppets at Walt Disney World at the Internet Movie Database