The Mutiny of the Bounty
|The Mutiny of the Bounty|
|Directed by||Raymond Longford|
|Produced by||Raymond Longford|
|Written by||Raymond Longford
|Based on||journals of Captain Bligh|
Crick and Jones
|Distributed by||Hughes (NZ)|
|2 September 1916|
The Mutiny of the Bounty is a 1916 Australian-New Zealand silent film directed by Raymond Longford about the mutiny aboard HMS Bounty. It is the first known cinematic dramatisation of this story and is considered a lost film.
The story deals with the mutiny on HMS Bounty, Captain Bligh's journey back to England, the recapture of the mutineers on Tahiti and subsequent fate of the other mutineers on Pitcairn Island. The story was structured in five acts.
- George Cross as Captain Bligh
- John Storm as King George III
- D.L. Dalziel as Sir Joseph Banks
- Wilton Power as Fletcher Christian
- Reginald Collins as Midshipman Heywood
- Ernesto Crosetto as Midshipman Hallett
- Harry Beaumont as Mr Samuels
- Charles Villiers as Burkett
- Meta Taupopoki as Otoo
- Mere Amohau as Mere
- Ida Guildford as Mrs Heywood
- Lottie Lyell as Nessy Heywood
Filming took place in Rotorua, Norfolk Island and Sydney starting April 1916. The movie was partly financed by distributors Stanley Crick and Herbert Finlay in association with J.D. Williams and was described as "probably the most costly production yet made in Australia."
Attempts were made to ensure the script was as historically accurate as possible and Bligh was not as demonised as he would be in later film versions of this story.
- "Raymond Longford", Cinema Papers, January 1974 p51
- 'New Zealand's Missing Film History', The Film Archive
- "PERTH MAJESTIC.". Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 4 November 1917. p. 7. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Advertising.". Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW : 1881 - 1940) (NSW: National Library of Australia). 30 September 1916. p. 3 Edition: EVENING. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- ""MUTINY OF THE BOUNTY.".". The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 24 March 1917. p. 4. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "No title." Sunday Times (Perth) 14 Nov 1926: 15 accessed 7 December 2011
- Helen Martin and Sam Edwards, New Zealand Film: 1912-1996, Oxford Uni Press, 1997 p 26
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, 64
- The Mutiny of the Bounty at the Internet Movie Database
- Copy of script and associated documentation available at National Archives of Australia (registration required)
- Full text of A Voyage to the South Sea by William Bligh
- Full text of A Narrative of The Mutiny, on Board His Majesty's Ship 'Bounty' by William Bligh