The Mysterious Monsters
|Bigfoot: The Mysterious Monster|
Cinema Insomnia Slime Line DVD cover
|Directed by||Robert Guenette|
|Produced by||Robert Guenette
|Written by||Robert Guenette|
|Studio||Sunn Classic Pictures|
|Distributed by||Sunn Classic Pictures|
|Release dates||July 1976|
|Running time||86 min|
The Mysterious Monsters (also known as Bigfoot: The Mysterious Monster) is a 1976 documentary film written and directed by Robert Guenette about Bigfoot and other cryptids as the Loch Ness Monster. The film was later featured in an episode of Cinema Insomnia.
The Mysterious Monsters was one of the first theatrical releases produced by Sunn Classic Pictures. It was narrated by actor Peter Graves. The film investigated not only the possibility of Bigfoot's existence but also of the Loch Ness Monster and the Yeti (the Abominable Snowman). It featured dramatic reenactments of various reported Bigfoot sightings. The film showed one witness being given a lie detector test, another being placed under hypnosis. The Mysterious Monsters was the first movie to feature the home movie taken by Roger Patterson in 1967 reported to show a Bigfoot. Anthropologist Grover Krantz was interviewed and said he believed the film to be authentic. Famed Bigfoot hunter Peter Byrne was also featured and gave insights on the hunt. In discussing the Loch Ness Monster, the film showed a 1934 photograph that was said to be of the creature. In 1994, however, this photo was proven to be a hoax.
Robert and Frances Guenette are credited as the authors of a 160 page book adaption of the film.
On September 22, 2009, Cheezy Flicks released the film on DVD. In 2010, Apprehensive Films made the Cinema Insomnia version available also on DVD. The DVD cover is a visual reference to the 1978 Marvel Star Wars comic Star Wars 13: Day of the Dragon Lords.
- "Cinema Insomnia, with your Horror Host, Mister Lobo! - SHOW INFORMATION". Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- "Amazon.com: Mysterious Monsters". Amazon.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Cheezy Flicks - Leader in rare and hard to find films, cult classics and B movies". Cheezy Flicks. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Bigfoot: Mysterious Monster Slime Line DVD". Apprehensive Films. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Ken Hulsey (13 May 2010). "Cryptomundo » Bigfoot Pummels Both Peter Graves And Mr Lobo". WordPress. Retrieved 9 December 2010.