The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo|
|Format||Children's television series|
|Created by||Alan Goodman|
|Country of origin||Canada
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||41 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||30-41 minutes
|Production company(s)||Out of My Mind Productions|
|Original run||March 16, 1996 – October 25, 1998|
The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo is a youth-oriented action mystery television series that ran on Nickelodeon between 1996 and 1998. A total of 41 episodes of 30 minutes each were produced. Episodes from the first three seasons were taped at the now defunct Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida, and was one of the few single-camera productions there, while season 4 episodes were shot in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
The series first aired in March 1996 as a six-episode test run, since Nickelodeon usually produced one major new series at a time and they were already producing Space Cases. The success of the test run prompted Nickelodeon to re-introduce the series on SNICK in January 1997, along with seven new episodes. During the show's third season, production stopped after eight of a proposed thirteen episodes were filmed due to a crew strike, as the show's budget did not cover the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees's demands, partly due to the decision to shoot film instead of videotape. Production resumed in Montreal in February 1998, after Cinar agreed to co-produce the series. As a result, the show's setting changed from Cocoa Beach, Florida to Boston, Massachusetts.
Starring Irene Ng as the title character, the series revolves around the adventures of a young teenage girl who lives with her innkeeper grandfather and works as a non-sworn intern at the local police department where she helps out with odds and ends around the office. Occasionally an intriguing case comes to Shelby's attention, prompting her to apply her unique insight and enlist the help of her friends to solve it. Her supervisors, however, do not appreciate her help, as she is only a teenager. Her grandfather also does not want her getting involved in cases, often reminding her, "We are not detectives with warrant badges, we are innkeepers with brooms." Many of the stories, with three clear suspects, keep the audience guessing until the truth is ultimately explained. On December 28, 2011, TeenNick aired the episode "The Smoke Screen Case" on the The '90s Are All That block.
- Irene Ng: Shelby Woo; Main protagonist of the show who solves mysteries and an overachiever. She lives in Florida in Seasons 1-3 and moved to Boston with her grandfather in Season 4. Despite Woo being portrayed as a teenager, Ng was 24 years old by the end of the series.
- Pat Morita: Mike 'Grandpa' Woo; Shelby's grandfather.
- Adam Busch: Noah Allen; Shelby's best friend and sidekick. Wasn't seen in Season 4 due to Shelby moving to Boston with her grandpa. Replaced by Vince Rosania.
- Preslaysa Edwards: Cindy Ornette; Another one of Shelby's best friends. Wasn't seen in Season 4 due to Shelby moving to Boston with her grandpa. Replaced by Angie Burns in Season 4.
- Ellen David: Detective Sharon Delancey; Works at Boston Detective Agencies who replaces Detective Hineline.
- Steve Purnick: Detective Whit Hineline; Works at Florida Detective Agencies.
- Eleanor Noble: Angie Burns; Shelby's new friend from Boston who replaces Cindy.
- Marianne Stanicheva: Agent Koznetova
- Noah Klar: Vince Rosania; Shelby's new friend from Boston who replaces Noah.
All 12 episodes from Season 1 & 2 are currently available for download on iTunes and Amazon on Demand.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2011)|
- The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo at the Internet Movie Database
- The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo at TV.com
|This article about a children's television series produced in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|