The Neptune Factor
|The Neptune Factor|
|Directed by||Daniel Petrie|
|Produced by||Sandy Howard (as Sanford Howard)|
|Written by||Jack DeWitt|
|Music by||Harry McCauley
|Editing by||Stan Cole|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release dates||August 3, 1973|
|Running time||98 minutes|
|Box office||$2,750,000 (US/ Canada)|
The Neptune Factor is a 1973 science fiction film directed by Daniel Petrie, featuring underwater cinematography by Paul Herbermann. The film's special effects utilized underwater photography of miniatures with actual marine life.
Marine scientists prepare to leave their underwater Sealab after an extended stay performing oceanographic research. An underwater earthquake interrupts their plans. Dr. Andrews (Walter Pidgeon) enlists experimental sub captain Adrien Blake (Ben Gazzara) to survey the damage and rescue the oceanauts. Taking Chief Diver "Mack" MacKay (Ernest Borgnine) and Dr. Leah Jansen (Yvette Mimieux), fiancée of one of the scientists, in the sub, Blake finds the lab has been ripped from its moorings and tumbled down an unexplored, deep ocean trench, presumably intact. With time running out (due to the lab's dwindling reserve air supply), the team descends into the unexplored trench, and finds an incredible ecosystem populated with monstrously over-sized fish. After surviving encounters with unfriendly denizens, they find the lab partially intact, the surviving scientists breathing from scuba tanks, and fending off giant, hungry eels. All but one of the scientists are rescued, and the submarine returns to the surface.
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p257
- Solomon p 232. See also "Big Rental Films of 1973", Variety, 9 January 1974 p 19. Please note figure is rentals not total gross.
- The Neptune Factor at the Internet Movie Database
- The Neptune Factor at the TCM Movie Database
- The Neptune Factor at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Neptune Factor at allmovie
|This science fiction film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|