The New College, Chennai
|The New College|
|Motto||O Lord! Increase my knowledge|
|Religious affiliation||University of Madras|
|Chairman||Janab. Alhaj U. Mohamed Khalilullah Sahib, B.Com., FCA|
|Principal||Dr. S. Abdul Maliq, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Dip. in Urdu.|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
The New College (Tamil: புதுக்கல்லூரி) is an institution of higher education in Chennai, South India. Established in 1951, the institution is one of the affiliated colleges of the University of Madras, with autonomous status. The college was established by the Muslim Educational Association of Southern India (MEASI) to meet the educational requirements of the Muslim students in South India.
The college is located in the center of Chennai on a 15-acre (61,000 m2) campus. It is one of the few colleges in Chennai located within the city hub. The older buildings are notable for their Indo-Saracenic architecture which stand in contrast to the new educational blocks. The older buildings are being renovated. The same campus also houses New College Institute of Management, MEASI Academy of Architecture and Institute of Research in Soil Biology and Bio-Technology.
Founded in 1951 by the Muslim Educational Association of Southern India (MEASI), the college is an institutions of higher education offering instruction in more than twenty courses in humanities, science and commerce at undergraduate level and more than twelve courses at postgraduate level. Though primarily established for providing higher education to Muslim students, its doors are open to students from all communities. Deeniyath classes for Muslim students, and moral instruction classes for others, are conducted during working hours. Working hours are 9am to 6pm.
The college offers instruction in 23 courses in Humanities, Sciences and Commerce at the undergraduate level and 10 courses at the postgraduate level. It is one of the few institutions in Chennai offering Arabic language studies up to the Masters level.
The NCC has two divisions in the college - the Armoured Squadron and the Battalion.
Armoured In "1 TN ARMD SQN NCC" students see and drive armoured tanks, and learn about rifles. The NCC Armoured Squadron is led by Captain.M.Anees Ahmed, a senior professor in the Department of Physics.
Battalion "2 COMPANY 1 TAMIL NADU BATALION NCC" deals with rifles. The cadets learn rifles and signals. The battalion is led by H. Zahid Hussain who is a senior professor in the Economics Department. Every year he creates 160 cadets.
The campus is cosmopolitan with students from India and abroad, especially from Islamic nations such as Saudi Arabia, Oman, Sudan, Malaysia and Bangladesh. In spite of the college being run by a Muslim management and an overwhelming Muslim majority within both staff and students, no complaints of religious intolerance or racism has ever been reported.
MEASI Institute of Management
In 1987, MEASI Institute of Management was established by the Muslim Educational Association of Southern India (MEASI) to give training in management with emphasis on practical application suited to Indian environmental and management requirements.
The IM is managed by a board of trustees consisting of:
- K. Ameenur Rahman, Chairman
- H. M.Shamsudeen, Executive Director
- A. Mohamed Ashraf, Finance Director
- M. Avais Musvee, Member
- M. Mohamed Shameem, Member
- Abdul Jabbar Suhail, Member
- K. Shahid Mansoor, Member
- Irsad Ahmed Mecca, Member
- M. Mohamed Hashim, Invitee
- U. Mohamed Khalilullah, Invitee
- A. K. Abdulla, Invitee
- Noman H.Millwala, Invitee
- C. Abdul Malick, Invitee
- Imtiaz Ahamed, Invitee
- Dr.S.Abdul Maliq,Ex Officio Member
- N. Balasubramanian, Director
MEASI IM has air conditioned classrooms, boardroom, staffrooms, offices, and a mini-auditorium. The course offered is M.B.A (full-time and part-time). It is approved by AICTE, affiliated to the University of Madras, accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, and ISO 9001-2000 certified.
MEASI IM has produced gold medals and ranks both in the full-time and part-time MBA programs. It has produced 100% results almost every year. Students of the institute have taken part in inter-collegiate management meets conducted by business-schools and have brought laurels. More than 75% of the students have been placed in companies through the placement cell of the institute, every year.
MEASI Institute of Information Technology
MEASI Institute Of Information Technology (MEASI ITT) is an independent institute in Chennai, offering an MCA programme. MEASI ITT was founded in 2002 by the Muslim Educational Association of Southern India(MEASI). The association was registered under the societies act XXI of 1860.
The MEASI ITT was established to run postgraduate courses in computer science and information technology, and approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and affiliated to the University of Madras, Chennai.
Website : [www.measiit.com]
MEASI Academy of Architecture
MEASI Academy of Architecture was established in 1999 by the Muslim Educational Association of Southern India (MEASI). MEASI AA is located in the heart of city, inside the New college campus. It consists of studios and classrooms.
The Board of Trustees is:
- Chairman - K. Ameenur Rahman
- Hon. Secretary - H. M. Shamsudeen
- Hon. Treasurer - A. Mohammed Ashraf
- Trustees - A. Mohamed Haris
- T. P. Imbichammad
- S. Ziaudeen Ahmed
- H. C. Abdul Azeez
Courses are five year B.Arch, five year B.Arch (Interior Design), and two year postgraduate M.Arch (Real Estate Development).
The course is headed by Prof.N.Altaff Ahmed - Director. It is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation and ISO 9001-2000 certified.
The Alumni Association of MEASI Academy of Architecture was formed with ten batches of Alumnus on 13 September 2013, supporting the growth and development of the institution.
New College Managing Committee
- Chairman - Janab. K.Ameenur Rahman,
- Students Union Chairman- Mr.Naveed Musthafa Basri K
- Honorary Secretary and Correspondent - Janab H.M.Shamsudeen,
- Janab Habibullah Badsha
- S. Sathikh Sahib
- Janab Alhaj
- M. Mohamed Hasim
- S. M. Hamid
- Abdul Quader
- Janab Alhaj
- S. C. M. Jamaldeen
- K. Altaff, Principal (ex officio)
||This article's list of people may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (June 2011)|
- Sultan Ahmed Ismail (soil biologist and ecologist)
- Makkal Pavalar Inkulab (orator and revolutionary Tamil writer)
- Prof. N. Altaf Ahmed (Renowned Architect)
- Prof. Sachidananthan (Renowned Architect - Town Planner)
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (May 2011)|
- Woorkeri Raman, cricketer
- K. R. Periyakaruppan, Minister for Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments, Tamil Nadu
- G. K. Vasan, Indian politician
- Radha Ravi, actor of Tamil cinema, politician
- Sarath Kumar, actor of Tamil cinema, politician
- Karthik Muthuraman, actor of Tamil cinema
- Jaishankar, Tamil actor
- Vineeth, actor of Tamil and Malayalam cinema
- Nagendra Prasad, film actor
- Chinni Jayanth, comedian of Tamil cinema, mimicry artist
- M. S. Guhan, film producer
- T. R. Baalu, ex-Central Shipping Minister
- Bharath, Tamil cinema actor
- Veera Bahu, Tamil Cinema Actor
- Prasanna Pandian, Artist, Architect, Animator, Academician, Actor