|Headquarters||411 North Fourth Street, Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, USA|
The News-Star is the principal newspaper of Monroe and northeastern Louisiana. Its circulation area ranges over some dozen parishes from Ruston, the seat of Lincoln Parish, on the west, to Tallulah in Madison Parish on the east, to the Arkansas state line on the north, and to Ferriday in Concordia Parish on the south. The newspaper is a Gannett Company publication.
The News Star began in 1890 as the Monroe Evening News. John Travis Nixon, a native of Illinois, and a partner, Julius Cheney, became the publishers in 1893, but Nixon soon left for Crowley in Acadia Parish, where he began what is now the Crowley Post Signal.
In 1909, coincidentally the year that John Travis Nixon died at the age of forty-one, the The Evening News merged with The Daily Star to form the afternoon newspaper, The Monroe News-Star. In 1908, Robert Wilson Ewing, I (1859–1931), while still the publisher of the since defunct New Orleans Daily States, purchased the Shreveport Times. In 1929, Ewing bought the since defunct Monroe Morning World. In 1930, he acquired the News-Star, since switched from an afternoon to a morning publication. Ewing was accordingly among the two or three most influential persons in the Louisiana journalism community. The two Monroe newspapers remained in the Ewing family until the Gannett acquisition on June 16, 1977. The Morning World and News-Star consolidated on August 4, 1980, to become The News-Star-World. The name was later changed and the first edition of The News Star was printed on May 22, 1988.
John D. Ewing (1892–1952), one of the five sons of Robert Ewing, was editor and publisher of the Shreveport Times and the Monroe News-Star-World from 1931 until his death. John Ewing moved to Shreveport in 1915 to become the associate publisher of the Shreveport Times. When his father died, Ewing became the publisher of the Shreveport Times and both Monroe papers. All three newspapers were known for their conservative editorials.
Robert Ewing, III (1935–2007), a nephew of John Ewing, was a nature photographer and served as a News Star board member. Another Ewing relative, Edmund Graves Brown (1921–2008), was a News Star executive who served as the assistant general manager until Gannett, an Arlington, Virginia, firm, purchased the combined News-Star-World. In 1980, “World” was dropped from the name, which became the News Star, without a hyphen.
The News Star usually endorses conservative candidates. In 2004, it supported successful Republicans Rodney Alexander for the United States House of Representatives and David Vitter for the United States Senate. In 2007, the paper endorsed Royal Alexander, a former Rodney Alexander staff member (no relation), who unsuccessfully carried the Republican Party banner for Louisiana attorney general in the 2007 elections. Royal Alexander of Shreveport was handily defeated by Buddy Caldwell of Tallulah, after incumbent Charles Foti was eliminated in the first round of balloting.
Notable staff members
- Charles E. Bever, former managing editor and later Gannett executive, now in Richmond, Virginia
- Sam Hanna, Sr. (1933–2006), former political editor; later publisher of Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Franklin Sun in Winnsboro, and Concordia Sentinel in Ferriday
- Bert Hatten, former managing editor of Morning World; later publisher of The Ouachita Citizen; mayor of West Monroe from 1966 to 1978
- Greg Hilburn, News Star political reporter; son of Wiley Hilburn
- Wiley W. Hilburn, former staffer and retired long-term head of the Journalism Department at Louisiana Tech University in Ruston
- Robert "Bob" Mann, reporter in early 1980s; holds the Douglas Manship Chair of Journalism at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, author of political history
- Kathy Spurlock, general manager and executive editor who began career at News Star as cub reporter
- Dale Thorn, journalist at Monroe Morning World in late 1960s, Louisiana State University professor, and press secretary to Governor Edwin Edwards
- "A Dictionary of Louisiana Biography, "Nixon, John Travis"". Louisiana Historical Association. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- About Us | thenewsstar.com | The News Star
- "Robert Ewing", A Dictionary of Louisiana Biography, Vol. 1 (1988), pp. 292-293
- "John Dunbrack Ewing", A Dictionary of Louisiana Biography, Vol. 1 (1988), p. 292
- thenewsstar.com | Monroe OBITUARY | The News Star
- David Vitter | U.S. Senate
- Dhimmi This!: Monroe News Star Endorses Royal Alexander
- "Sam Hanna, Jr.: One fateful day in Dallas, November 20, 2013". The Ouachita Citizen. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "About Bob Mann". bobmannblog.com. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Former News-Star executive Edmund Brown dies | ShreveportTimes | The Times
- "Obituary - Dr. Jesse Dale Thorn, May 14, 2014". Ouachita Citizen. Retrieved May 17, 2014.