The North Queensland Guardian
14 May 1943 issue of The North Queensland Guardian
|Publisher||Queensland State Committee, Communist Party of Australia|
|Founded||1 May 1937|
|Ceased publication||5 November 1943|
|Circulation||5,100 (May 1937)|
The North Queensland Guardian was a newspaper published from Townsville, in the Australian state of Queensland between 1937 and 1943. The newspaper was published by the Queensland State Committee of the Communist Party of Australia. Fred Paterson was the chairman of the editorial board of the newspaper.
The first issue was published on May Day 1937. The first editorial of the newspaper stated that The North Queensland Guardian would launch "...a crusade against poverty; a crusade against war; a crusade against governmental tyranny and despotism".
The North Queensland Guardian was the first communist newspaper in the state with a degree of success. Under Paterson's editorship the hammer and sickle was removed from the front page of the newspaper. Unlike other Communist Party of Australia organs, The North Queensland Guardian carried commercial advertisements. It carried articles on sports and social events, dedicating significant attention to women's activities. By May 1937 the newspaper reached a circulation of 5,100 copies. It was sold at two pence per issue.
With the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, the Australian communist press was confronted with increasing censorship issues. On 27 May 1940 the newspaper was banned. The newspaper was published illegally between June 1940 and 8 January 1943. During this time its size was reduced.
- Symons, Beverley. Communism in Australia: A Resource Bibliography. Sydney: National Libr. of Australia, 1994. p. 109
- McIlroy, Jim. The Red North: Queensland's History of Struggle. Chippendale, N.S.W.: Resistance Books, 2001. p. 23
- Fitzgerald, Ross. The People's Champion: Fred Paterson. St. Lucia: Univ. of Queensland Press, 1997. pp. 101–102
- Arnold, John, Martyn Lyons, Craig Munro, and Robyn Sheahan-Bright. A History of the Book in Australia. St Lucia, Qld: University of Queensland Press, 2001. p. 52
- Fitzgerald, Ross. The People's Champion: Fred Paterson. St. Lucia: Univ. of Queensland Press, 1997. p. 107
- Watson, Joanne. Palm Island: Through a Long Lens. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press, 2010. p. 184
- Austlit. The North Queensland Guardian