The Occidental Quarterly
|Editor||Kevin B. MacDonald|
|Publisher||Charles Martel Society|
|First issue||Fall 2001|
The Occidental Quarterly is an American journal published by the Charles Martel Society. Its stated aim is to defend "the cultural, ethnic, and racial interests of Western European peoples" and examine "contemporary political, social, and demographic trends that impact the posterity of Western Civilization". Historian Tony Taylor described the publication as "a far-right racially obsessed US Magazine". Other sources have referred to it as white nationalist. David Frum and Max Blumenthal have called it pseudo-scholarly or pseudo-academic.
Publisher and editors
The journal is published by the Charles Martel Society (not to be confused with France's anti-Algerian Charles Martel Group), named in honor of Charles Martel, who halted a Muslim invasion of Europe at the Battle of Tours in 732.
The current editor of Occidental Quarterly is Kevin B. MacDonald. Its publisher is William Regnery II. Editorial advisory board members include Virginia Abernethy, Richard Lynn, James C. Russell and Kevin B. MacDonald. Jared Taylor, of the American Renaissance magazine, is a past member. Samuel T. Francis was an associate editor until his death.
In response to a critical essay by The American Prospect which said that "Sitting on the Occidental's advisory board is a who's who of the national anti-immigration movement", Regnery defended the editorial board, stating: "Of the thirteen individuals on its editorial board, ten hold Ph.D.s and two others are editors of their own publications. All are respected writers in their own fields."
They explicitly reject neoconservatism and call for a "third school" to emerge from paleoconservatism in the form of an ideology of Western European identity politics, and holds that the American political order of freedom and liberty is under ethnic and ideological threat from mostly Jewish ideologies. Its foreign policy positions, broadly, are anti-immigration with the exception of "selected people of European ancestry" and non-interventionism, including the rejection of influence from Israel and Mexico on U.S. politics.
The Occidental Quarterly also runs a news-related website, The Occidental Observer, as well as a book publishing company, The Occidental Press. The Occidental Observer states that its mission is to "present original content touching on the themes of white identity, white interests, and the culture of the West." The Anti-Defamation League has referred to it as "a primary voice for anti-Semitism from far-right intellectuals."
According to Newsweek magazine, in 2004 the publisher Regnery announced to the magazine's subscribers his plans for whites-only dating Web site. Newsweek reported that Regnery was concerned about a declining numbers of whites in the population, and quoted him telling his subscribers that the dating site was important "since the survival of our race depends upon our people marrying, reproducing and parenting." Regnery defended the whites-only matchmaking idea, insisting that it is no different from sites run for Jewish singles, such as JDate.
- American Renaissance
- Council of Conservative Citizens
- Criticism of multiculturalism
- National Policy Institute
- White nationalism
- White pride
- "Fall 2001 | The Occidental Quarterly". The Occidental Quarterly 1 (1). Fall 2001.
- Archived December 16, 2005 at the Wayback Machine
- Taylor, Tony (2008). Denial:History Betrayed. Melbourne University Press. p. 275. ISBN 978-0522854824.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: Occidental Quarterly Linked 2013-07-07
- Andrew Murr. Dating the White Way. Newsweek, August 9, 2004.
- Heidi Beirich and Kevin Hicks (2009). Barbara Perry, ed. Hate Crimes. 123: Praeger. ISBN 978-0275995690.
- Zeskind, Leonard (2009). Blood and Politics: The History of the White Nationalist Movement from the Margins to the Mainstream. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. p. 526. ISBN 978-0374109035.
- Frum, David (April 7, 2003). "Unpatriotic Conservatives". National Review (National Review). Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- Blumenthal, Max (April 10, 2006). "Republicanizing the Race Card". The Nation (The Nation).
- MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base at the Wayback Machine (archived September 22, 2006)
- "Response to the American Prospect essay". Archived from the original on January 4, 2007.
- "Official website: About". Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- Blumenthal, Max (August 31, 2004). "White Noise". The American Prospect.
- "A Statement of Principles" The Occidental Quarterly
- Bookshop | The Occidental Quarterly
- MacDonald, Kevin. "Mission Statement". The Occidental Observer. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "The Occidental Observer: Online Anti-Semitism's New Voice". Anti-Defamation League.