The Odyssey of Flight 33
|"The Odyssey of Flight 33"|
|The Twilight Zone episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Justus Addiss|
|Written by||Rod Serling|
|Original air date||February 24, 1961|
"The Odyssey of Flight 33" is episode 54 of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone. An unlikely break of the time barrier finds a commercial airliner sent back into the prehistoric age and then to New York City of 1939. The tale is a modern telling of the Flying Dutchman myth. It originally aired on February 24, 1961 on CBS.
The episode takes place on Global Airlines Flight 33, en route from London to New York City. About 50 minutes from Idlewild Airport (now called JFK), Captain Farver and his crew notice that the speed of their Boeing 707 is increasing rapidly. A flash of light is seen, accompanied by severe turbulence. Unable to contact anyone on radio, the crew realizes that they have traveled far back in time when they look out the window and see no signs of civilization, only grazing dinosaurs.
Determining that their only hope of returning to the present day is to repeat the previous maneuver, the plane increases altitude in an attempt to catch the same freak jet stream and to return to 1961. At first, the maneuver appears to work; New York City is once again visible, and although they still cannot contact Idlewild, they are able to reach LaGuardia Airport, which the crew initially plans to use to refuel. However, the air traffic controller on the radio does not understand references to current aircraft technology, and a crew member sees the 1939 New York World's Fair below—they have come forward in time, just not far enough. Because LaGuardia's runway is too short to handle a jet of Flight 33's size, the captain decides not to attempt a landing there and instead to make another attempt to return "home" to 1961. "All I ask is that you remain calm", he informs the passengers over the P.A. system, "...and pray". This is one of the few episodes which ends with neither a twist nor a resolution.
- John Anderson as Captain Farver
- Paul Comi as First Officer Craig
- Sandy Kenyon as Navigator "Magellan" Hatch
- Harp McGuire as Flight Engineer Purcell
- Beverly Brown as Janie
- Wayne Heffley as 2nd Officer Wyatt
- Betty Garde as Passenger
- Jay Overholts as Passenger
- Nancy Rennick as Paula
- Lester Fletcher as RAF Man
This episode was one of several Twilight Zone stories adapted as a graphic novel.
- DeVoe, Bill. (2008). Trivia from The Twilight Zone. Albany, GA: Bear Manor Media. ISBN 978-1-59393-136-0
- Grams, Martin. (2008). The Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic. Churchville, MD: OTR Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9703310-9-0
- "The Odyssey of Flight 33" at the Internet Movie Database
- TV.com episode page
- Full video of the episode at CBS.com