The One and Only (song)
|"The One and Only"|
|Single by Chesney Hawkes|
|from the album Buddy's Song (soundtrack)|
|B-side||"It's Gonna Be Tough"
|Format||CD, 7" vinyl, 12" vinyl|
|Producer(s)||Alan Shacklock and Nik Kershaw|
|Chesney Hawkes singles chronology|
Produced by Kershaw and Alan Shacklock, Hawkes's recording was featured in the 1991 film Buddy's Song which starred Hawkes as the eponymous Buddy and Roger Daltrey (of rock band The Who) as his father. The film performed moderately well at the UK box office, but the song was a hit in that country's music charts, spending five weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart in March and April 1991.
The song was later featured in the film Doc Hollywood, also from 1991 (starring Michael J. Fox) and became a hit in the U.S., peaking at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in May 1991.
The song was featured in two films by director Duncan Jones; in the 2009 film Moon (starring Sam Rockwell) as the wake-up alarm for the main character, and in the 2011 film Source Code, the song appears as the cellphone ringtone of the character of Christina. It is heard several times throughout each movie. ("The One and Only" in Moon is used ironically and is related to the story that unwinds. Hawkes is friends with director Jones and his father, musician David Bowie).
Hawkes was unable to follow up on this success, and is largely remembered as a one-hit wonder. Indeed, in retrospect, the fact that the song's title was "The One and Only" has proved to be poetic justice, and the song is often used to personify one-hit wonders.
Two music videos were made. One featured Hawkes performing for a crowd on a stage. The second video features a girl and her friend going to a cinema to watch Buddy's Song, where Hawkes jumps out of the screen a beckons the girl to follow him. They go into a storage room, but Hawkes is then pulled back into the screen; he escapes again, only to have Roger Daltrey (who plays Hawkes's father in the film) come out of the screen and chase after them. Finally, at the end of the video, Hawkes reaches out of the screen to the girl, who takes his hands and goes into the screen with him. They kiss whilst being watched by the girl's shocked friend.
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|Austrian Singles Chart||1|
|Canadian Singles Chart||61|
|Dutch GfK chart||9|
|Dutch Top 40||11|
|German Singles Chart||8|
|Irish Singles Chart||3|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||5|
|Swedish Singles Chart||2|
|Swiss Singles Chart||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
End of year charts
|End of year chart (1991)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||93|
"The Stonk" by Hale and Pace
|UK number one single
30 March - 27 April 1991 (5 weeks)
"The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" by Cher
- Guinness British Hit Singles (11th ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. 1997. p. 162. ISBN 0-85112-027-X.
- The Official UK Charts Company. "All the No. 1's – The One and Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chart Stats - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Archived from the original on 2007-07-07. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "allmusic ((( Chesney Hawkes > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Mario Lopez | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Mario Lopez - The One And Only (File, MP3) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- : (2008-05-30). "The one and only (2008) | Mario Lopez". 7digital.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only - austriancharts.at (German)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only (Dutch)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Nederlandse Top 40, week 24, 1991 (Dutch)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- "norwegiancharts.com - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "swedishcharts.com - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only - hitparade.ch (German)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1991". Retrieved 2009-09-15.