The Originals (TV series)
|Genre||Supernatural drama, Horror, Fantasy|
|Created by||Julie Plec|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||28 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original channel||The CW|
|Original run||October 3, 2013– present|
|Related shows||The Vampire Diaries|
The Originals is an American television series that began airing on The CW during the 2013–14 American television season. The series premiere aired after The Vampire Diaries on Thursday, October 3, 2013. A week later, on October 8, 2013, it moved to Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Central) in its regular timeslot where it led in to Supernatural.
On February 13, 2014, The CW renewed the series for a second season. The second season will resume on October 6, 2014; The CW announced the show will be moved to Mondays.
The Originals is a spin-off from The Vampire Diaries which centers around the Mikaelson siblings, Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), and Rebekah (Claire Holt). The backdoor pilot, which aired on April 25, 2013, also revealed that the werewolf Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) is pregnant with Klaus' child and would therefore join the cast. The show begins with the original siblings returning to the city of New Orleans for the first time since 1919. Having originally built the city, they had been forced to flee from their vengeful father. In their absence, Klaus' protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), took charge of the city. Klaus resolves that they must take down Marcel and get back the city that once belonged to them.
|Joseph Morgan||Niklaus Mikaelson||Main|
|Daniel Gillies||Elijah Mikaelson||Main|
|Claire Holt||Rebekah Mikaelson||Main||Recurring|
|Phoebe Tonkin||Hayley Marshall||Main|
|Charles Michael Davis||Marcellus Gerard||Main|
|Daniella Pineda||Sophie Deveraux||Main|
|Leah Pipes||Camille O'Connell||Main|
|Danielle Campbell||Davina Claire||Main|
|Yusuf Gatewood||Vincent Griffith/Finn Mikaelson||Guest||Main|
Production and development
On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a back-door pilot focused on the Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus and titled The Originals would air sometime in April for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season. On April 26, 2013, The Originals was confirmed for a full series. This second spin-off attempt will be overseen by Julie Plec, with no involvement by Kevin Williamson. The Originals was officially picked up by The CW on April 26, 2013, for the 2013–14 season. Season one of The Originals was set to premiere on Tuesday, October 15. However, on July 29, 2013, The CW announced that the series premiere would instead air on October 3, 2013, following the fifth season premiere of The Vampire Diaries in order to attract fans of the series. On October 10, 2013, the CW ordered three additional scripts for the series. On November 11, 2013, the CW decided to order a full season for The Originals.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Pilot||1||April 25, 2013|
|1||22||October 3, 2013||May 13, 2014|
|2||22||October 6, 2014||TBA|
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||No. of
|1||Tuesday 8pm||22||October 3, 2013||2.21||May 13, 2014||1.76||2013–2014||#149||2.61||1.6/4|
|2||Monday 8pm||TBA||October 6, 2014||1.37||TBA||TBA||2014–2015||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Awards and nominations
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite New TV Drama||The Originals||Nominated|
|Favorite Actor in a New Series||Joseph Morgan||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
|Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Claire Holt|
|Emmy Awards||Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series||Colleen Labaff
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2013). "The CW Moves Up 'The Originals' Premiere to Follow 'The Vampire Diaries' + 'Supernatural' Gets Earlier Start". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 13, 2014). "'Reign', 'Arrow', 'Supernatural', 'The Originals' & 'The Vampire Diaries' Renewed by The CW". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Comic-Con: 'The Originals' Season 2 Trailer Debuts, Boss Teases 'Dark, Warped Fairy Tale' (Video)
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 11, 2013). "The CW Orders Backdoor Pilot for ‘Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff, ‘The Originals’". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Philiana Ng (January 11, 2013). "'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' in the Works at CW". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (April 26, 2013). "The CW Shows Renewed 2013 — ‘Hart of Dixie,’ ‘Beauty and the Beast’". TVLine. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Tim Kenneally (June 24, 2013). "The CW sets fall premieres: 'Tomorrow People,' 'The Originals'". Chicago Tribune.
- Gelman, Vlada (October 10, 2013). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for The Originals, Tomorrow People and Reign". TV Line. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 11, 2013). "CW Gives Full-Season Orders To Freshman Series ‘The Originals’, ‘The Tomorrow People’ & ‘Reign’". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- "Full 2013-2014 TV Season Series Rankings". Deadline. May 22, 2014.
- "FIRST WAVE OF "TEEN CHOICE 2014" NOMINEES ANNOUNCED". Teen Choice Awards. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Emmy Nominations". Emmy Awards. July 10, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Originals (TV series)|