The Package (1989 film)
|Directed by||Andrew Davis|
|Produced by||Beverly J. Camhe
|Written by||John Bishop|
Tommy Lee Jones
|Music by||James Newton Howard|
|Edited by||Billy Weber
|Distributed by||Orion Pictures|
|Running time||108 min|
The Package is a 1989 political thriller film directed by Andrew Davis and starring Gene Hackman, Joanna Cassidy and Tommy Lee Jones. Set during the Cold War, the film portrays an assassination conspiracy within both the U.S. and Soviet militaries. The Americans and Soviets are about to sign a disarmament treaty to completely eliminate nuclear weapons, but elements within each country's military are vehemently opposed to such a plan and determined to stop it at all costs. Roger Ebert awarded the film three stars out of four, calling it " smarter than most thrillers".
Gene Hackman stars as Johnny Gallagher, a Special Forces Master Sergeant in the United States Army who is assigned to escort a prisoner, an Army deserter named Thomas Boyette (Tommy Lee Jones), from West Berlin back to the United States. When Boyette escapes, Gallagher pursues him and discovers that Boyette is actually a professional assassin hired to kill the leader of the Soviet Union after a meeting in Chicago with the president of the United States. Gallagher is joined by his ex-wife Eileen, a lieutenant colonel in the Judge Advocate General Corps of the US Army (Joanna Cassidy) and Chicago police Lt. Milan Delich (Dennis Franz).
- Gene Hackman as U.S. Army Master Sergeant Johnny Gallagher
- Joanna Cassidy as U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Eileen Gallagher
- Tommy Lee Jones as Thomas Boyette
- John Heard as U.S. Army Colonel Glen Whitacre
- Dennis Franz as Chicago Police Lieutenant Milan Delich
- Pam Grier as U.S. Army 1st Lieutenant Ruth Butler
- Reni Santoni as Chicago Police Lieutenant
- Ike Pappas as himself
- Carlos Sanz as Johnny's Field Soldier
- Cody Glenn as Johnny's Field Soldier
- Harry Lennix as Johnny's Field Soldier
The Package received generally positive reviews, currently holding a 64% "fresh" rating on rotten tomatoes based on 14 reviews.
The film was first released on VHS by Orion Home Video in 1989. It was re-released by MGM Home Entertainment in 1999, released under the MGM Movie Time series. The film was finally released on DVD on January 18, 2000.
- The Package at the Internet Movie Database
- The Package at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Package at Box Office Mojo
|This article about an action thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|