The Pale (band)
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2014)|
|Labels||1969 Records, A&M Records|
|Mandolin. Bouzouki. Violin.|
The Pale are an Irish band of varying genres including rock, and indie. They were formed in Dublin in 1990, with Matthew Devereux on vocals, Shane Wearen on mandolin, Sean Molloy on bass, and a drum machine. They released a debut album on A&M Records in 1992 called Here's One We Made Earlier. The debut album and live shows received critical praise internationally. The singles from that debut were "Dogs With No Tails", "Butterfly", and "Shut Up Venus". The former peaked at No. 51 in the UK Singles Chart in June 1992.
As the group have toured they have added and subtracted instruments and players to the line-up. The mainstay of the group has remained Devereux and Wearen.
The Pale hail from Dublin and formed in 1990. The Pale had a unique and unusual style from the beginning. The vocal, mandolin, drum machine, bass, and acoustic guitar line-up of The Pale had an individual approach to song writing. That year The Pale recorded a mini album called Why Go Bald?. On receiving modest funding from U2 manager Paul McGuinness, The Pale recorded a mini album called The Happy Ring House. Both titles for were taken from neon signs in Dublin, one on Dame Lane and the other on O'Connell Street.
They released I Woke Up and I Was Gone in 2012 (1969 Records).
- Matthew Devereux - Vocals, guitar
- Shane Wearen - Mandolin, fiddle, bouzouki
- Darren Flynn - Bass guitar
- David O'Shea - Guitar
- Aidan O'Grady - Drums
- Andy O'Brien - Keyboards
- Why Go Bald (Mini LP) - 1990
- Happy Ring House (Mini LP) - 1991
- Here's One We Made Earlier - 1992
- "Dogs With No Tails" (EP single) - 1992 (IRE No. 23) (UK No. 51)
- "Butterfly" (single) - 1992 (IRE No. 16)
- "Shut Up Venus" (single) - 1992
- Ripe - 1994
- Cheapside - 1995
- Cripplegate - 1996
- Spudgun - 1996
- Lonely Space Age - 2002
- The Final Garden (EP) - 2006
- The Contents of a Shipwreck - 2007
- "Elizabeth in Rags" (single) - 2007
- "The New Resistance" (single) - 2007
- Proper Order - 2009
- I Woke Up and I Was Gone - 2012
- 21 Song Salute - 2013
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 415. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Storymap - Why go Bald? - About Tom Matthews". Storymap.ie. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "The Pale | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "Pale, The Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.