The Palestine Telegraph
The Palestine Telegraph is the first online newspaper based in the Gaza Strip. Its staff is composed of Palestinians and international volunteers, both professional journalists and, "citizen journalists who do not take assignments from editors or paychecks from corporate controlled media."
Sameh Akram Habeeb, the founder of the newspaper, is a Gaza resident and photojournalist. The aim, according to Habeeb, is to disseminate, "the voices of the People of Palestine, the Middle East and other indigenous people around the world."
The newspaper began as a blog operated by 23-year old Habeeb, who was at home in Gaza throughout the three-week war in the winter of 2008-2009. Issuing up-to-the-minute reports from his computer, he described the situation on his WordPress software based blog.
The premiere edition of the electronic newspaper format under the name The Palestine Telegraph came out on March 11, 2009. The newspaper is a non-profit venture that relies on donor contributions for its operations. Habeeb sits on the Board of Directors as the Chair and Founder and serves as the Editor-in-chief.
In February 2010, the newspaper generated controversy when it published an article which claimed that an Israel Defense Forces emergency aid hospital in Haiti (after the 2010 Haiti earthquake) was secretly harvesting organs and selling them on the black market. The article, written by American researcher Stephen Lendman, cited a video broadcast on Hezbollah's Al-Manar television, which consisted of a warning from an individual named "T West" who claimed to represent the group AfriSynergy, but cited no evidence. In response, founding chairman Sameh Akram Habeeb stated that Lendman’s article represents "him and his views. Some people believe in this and some don’t".
Baroness Jenny Tonge resigned from the Board of Patrons in April 2010, after the Palestine Telegraph posted a video — since removed — from David Duke, noted racist and former leader ("Grand Imperial Wizard") of the Ku Klux Klan.
- The Palestine Telegraph, GlobalPost
- Palestinian online newspaper to be launched soon, Internews, February 2, 2009
- US 'pressured Abbas on UN report', Al Jazeera English, October 4, 2009
- We Will Change Our World, The Palestine Telegraph, March 11, 2009
- Stephen Lendman, Focus on Israel: Harvesting Haitian organs?, The Palestine Telegraph, 1 February 2010.
- Tonge: Investigate IDF stealing organs in Haiti by Simon Rocker and Martin Bright, Jewish Chronicle, February 11, 2010.
- Haiti organ harvesting claims false by Jonny Paul, Jerusalem Post, February 14, 2010.
- Former British MP Tonge: Probe claims of IDF organ theft in Haiti, Ynet, February 12, 2010.
- Tonge Quits Palestine Telegraph 'Over KKK Video', The Jewish Chronicle, April 22, 2010