The Park, Chennai
|The Park Chennai|
|Hotel chain||The Park Hotels|
|Address||601, Anna Salai, Nungambakkam
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 006
|Opening||15 May 2002|
|Owner||The Park Hotels|
|Management||The Park Hotels|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Hirsch Bedner Associates, Los Angeles|
|Number of rooms||214|
|Number of suites||15|
|Number of restaurants||5|
The Park Chennai is a five-star deluxe hotel located at the Anna Flyover junction on the erstwhile Gemini Studios premises on Anna Salai, Chennai, India. The hotel, part of the Apeejay Surrendra group, was opened on 15 May 2002 at an investment of around 1,000 million.
The place where The Park hotel stands today was the location of the Gemini Studios, a historic film studio since the 1940s. S. S. Vasan, a Tamil film maker, bought the Motion Picture Producers' Combines studio of his friend K. Subramaniam, which was destroyed by a fire in 1940, on Mount Road in 1940 in a court auction for 86,427-11-9, the odd figure arrived at through including the interest on unpaid wages of the employees. The studio was rebuilt and opened under the name Gemini Studios, which went on to become one of the finest studio and a legendary film production centre in the Subcontinent. Gemini Pictures declined in the 1970s though remaining successful as a studio and equipment rental business. In the 1990s, two buildings were built in the corner of the studio's premises only to be considered unfavourable among buyers. By the turn of the 21st century, the Kolkata-based Park Group of Hotels bought the three-star property in the premises and turned it into a five-star luxury hotel and opened it on 15 May 2002. In the same year, the other block was scheduled for auction by Indian Bank with a reserve price of 930 million.
In 2010, the hotel had a legal fight with the Corporation of Chennai over the ownership of an open space reservation (OSR) land on which the hotel's perimeter compound wall with fountains was built.
The art-concept boutique hotel has 214 rooms, including 127 deluxe rooms, 31 luxury rooms, 41 residence rooms, 6 studio suites, 5 deluxe suites, 3 premier suites and 1 presidential suite. Dining facilities in the hotel include a Thai restaurant named Lotus, The 601 (Six-O-One) bar, the Pasta–Choco bar and the Aqua restaurant situated on the eighth floor. The hotel also has a bar named the Leather Bar as a tribute to the city's leather industry. The hotel also has a shopping arcade.
In 2006, Forbes listed "Atrium" in The Park hotel, Chennai, with its menu designed by Italian chef Antonio Carluccio, amongst India's top 10 most expensive restaurants.
- "Category : 5 Star Delux". List of Approved Hotels as of : 06/01/2013. Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 6 Jan 2013.
- Farwaha, Dinkar (1–15 September 2008). "Apeejay Surrendra upbeat about future developments". Retrieved 4 Dec 2011.
- "Premium boutique hotel in Chennai". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 16 May 2002. Retrieved 4 Dec 2011.
- Muthiah, S. (8 July 2002). "Recalling what Gemini did". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.
- Ashokamitran (2002). My Years With Boss At Gemini Studios. Cinema Books of Orient Longman. Orient Longman. ISBN 81-250-2087-X.
- "Hotel's petition against Chennai Corporation dismissed". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 25 June 2010. Retrieved 4 Aug 2012.
- "Park Hotels launches Chennai property". Business Line (Chennai: The Hindu). 16 May 2002. Retrieved 4 Aug 2012.
- "The Park Hotel, Chennai - Deluxe Hotel in Chennai". Chennai Hub. Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.
- Saabira Chaudhuri (18 December 2006). "International Dining: India's Most Expensive Restaurants". Forbes.