The Park Theatre
|Park Theatre, Park Theatre Cafe Bar|
|Address||11-13 Clifton Terrace, Finsbury Park
London N4 3JP
The Park Theatre is a new theatre in Finsbury Park, London which opened on 8 May 2013. The artistic director, Jez Bond, intends its programme to include new writing, classics, 19th Century drama and musicals.
In November 2009 Bond acquired a disused office building at 11-13 Clifton Terrace. Planning permission was granted in October 2010. The theatre was designed by David Hughes with assistance from theatre consultants Charcoal Blue. The £2.2m cost was met by private donors and by the sale of flats built above the theatre. The main theatre seats 200 in two tiers around a thrust stage, there is also a 90 seat studio theatre and a cafe bar. Backstage are three dressing rooms, a green room, wardrobe, offices and prop stores. An education floor on site was planned but required significant fundraising.
Open Book Accounting
Bond has talked about the importance of transparency and operating an open book accounting policy with regards to both in-house and incoming productions.
- Cecilia Sundstrom, "Psychopaths, nudity and Maureen Lipman launch new Finsbury Park theatre", Hackney Gazette, 27 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "About". ParkTheatre. 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Marshall, Tom (29 October 2010), "Finsbury Park theatre’s cue to open", Hornsey, Crouch End and Muswell Hill Journal (Archant Ltd)
- "Converting Spaces - Creating Theatres". Theatre's Trust.
- "Converting Spaces~Creating Theatres". Theatre's Trust.
- Price, Mark James (26 August 2010). "Laurel Leaf House, 11-13 Clifton Terrace, Islington, London N4 3JP Application ref: P101570" (PDF). The Theatres Trust. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Loeb, Josh (9 July 2010), "Oasis of arts planned for Finsbury Park’s ‘cultural desert’", Islington Tribune
- Gardner, Lyn (7 February 2012). "Should theatres open up their accounts?". The Guardian (London).
- "Sir Ian McKellen and Rupert Everett visit Park Theatre as it moves closer to opening date". Islington Tribune.
- "Finsbury Park theatre development appeals for more funding". Islington Gazette.
- "Putting Finsbury Park on the theatre map: Ian McKellen and Celia Imrie back £2.2 million venue". Evening Standard.
- "Tamzin: Start children on the theatre when they're young". Evening Standard.
- "PARK THEATRE with Sir Ian McKellen, Tamzin Outhwaite & Celia Imrie". YouTube.