The Peninsula Chicago
|The Peninsula Chicago|
The Peninsula Hotel viewed from North Michigan Avenue.
|Location||108 East Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Owner||Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels|
|Number of rooms||339|
|Number of suites||83|
|Number of restaurants||4 + 1 Bar|
The Peninsula Chicago is a 20-story luxury hotel located at the intersection of East Superior Street and North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, Illinois. The hotel is part of The Peninsula Hotels group based in Hong Kong. In late 2009 the hotel was purchased by Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels who previously owned 92.5% of the hotel before the takeover. In 2004 the hotel won three major awards: Travel + Leisure Magazine's award for #1 Hotel in North America, the Zagat award for #1 Hotel in North America, and Forbes magazine awarded it with the Best Hotel Bar in the World. The Peninsula is one of only three 5-star hotels in Illinois, the others being the The Four Seasons Chicago and the Ritz-Carlton Chicago which are both located in the city of Chicago as well. As of June 2014 rates at The Peninsula, Chicago range from $495 to $8,500 per night.
Due to the hotel's proximity to Chicago's most famous retail street, The Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue), the building is close to many famous brands like Cartier, Giorgio Armani and Louis Vuitton. As with most hotels in the area, the bottom floors are occupied by retailers, in this case Tiffany & Co., Ralph Lauren and Banana Republic. The hotel is also very close to several tourist attractions such as the Chicago Water Tower, the John Hancock Center and the world-famous American Girl Store. The hotel is about 30–60 minutes from the two main Chicago airports depending on traffic. The closest 'L' station to the hotel is the Chicago station on the Red Line which is a 5-minute walk away.
The hotel offers limousine service to and from O'Hare International Airport and Chicago Midway International Airport. For business events and meetings the hotel has over 9,500 sq ft (880 m2) available which includes boardrooms and a business centre. The hotel has four restaurants: Shanghai Terrace, Pierrot Gourmet and The Lobby, serving Oriental, European, American cuisine and small plates respectively. There are private dining rooms in Shanghai Terrace restaurant that are exclusively used for business meetings and special events.  The hotel's bar is named simply The Bar.
The Fitness Centre at the Chicago Peninsula takes up the top two floors. The top two floors of the hotel are different from the rest of the hotel because the pool room has floor to ceiling windows to optimize the view of Lake Michigan from the 25 m (82 ft) pool. The Fitness Centre also contains a spa which was awarded the Best Urban Spa Hotel by Spa Finder in 2007 and 2008.
- "Peninsula Business Profile". bbb.org. March 2011. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Hong Kong and Shanghai Hotels buy The Peninsula Chicago". asiatraveltips.com. September 2009. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "The Peninsula Chicago". fivestaralliance.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Sardone, Susan Breslow. "Mobil 5-Star Hotels / Award Winners 2007". 2007 About, Inc.
- "Chicago Hotels on the Magnificent Mile". usatoday.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "New hotel Opens". highbeam.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "The Peninsula Chicago". thepeninsula.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Pierrot Gourmet". thepeninsula.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "The Peninsula Chicago Awards". kiwicollection.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.